Monday, October 12, 2009

Homemade Gifts? I Must Be Crazy!!

I'm not that great at sewing. It takes me forever to do a project. I'm not good at finishing stuff either. For example, I have the material I need to make an Advent Calendar for my family. I got the stuff last Christmas. I made one for my sister Stefanie but I never got mine made. In fact, I'm so bad, I begged my neighbor to do some of the sewing for me. Now I need to get our family's calendar done and then start my next project. My Marshall-man loves his rice heat pack that I made out of one of my old socks. I filled it with brown rice and we microwave it each night for him. He holds it close because he loves the smell of the rice. I've been really wanting to make a nicer looking one for him so I found this darling pattern for only $10. I figured it is worth it because I'm going to make one for Nate too. He gets leg cramps sometimes at night. I also use one on my shoulder. I have bursitis in my shoulder and it's killing me. The hot pack helps a bit. I just hope I can get it done. I think I can make it. One suggestion was that you make a liner for it first so the heat will stay in better. When I was waiting in the insanely long line at Jo-Ann Fabrics on Saturday, the woman behind me suggested I use the type of material you would use to make curtains. That just means I have double the work. BUT, it would really be worth it if it will stay warm longer. This is what I want to make. I doubt mine will look this good, but I'll do my best. It's so cute!!!


I'm also thinking of making Eye Spy jars. Hmm...am I crazy? Yes, I think so. But think of how much more awesome it will be when the kids love them?!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

I spy jars are a great idea! Tell me what sorts of things you put in them! I'd love to make a girly one for Ash and a little boy one for Ricky, maybe some more "mature" boy things in one for Ben (otherwise if it can pass for a baby or little kid toy he snubs it)

Aprilyn said...

A craft store has AWESOME stuff for Eye Spy jars!! We made one for a book report so it was stuff that had to do w/ the book. I'll write specific ideas for Ash and Ricky and then tell you what I'm putting in Nate's jar. You could do a Cub Scout theme for Ben's jar or maybe something with the theme of his favorite book. I'll write later. I gotta get kids eating breakfast!

LyndiLou said...

You are awesome!!! I'm sure you'll be able to make some fun stuff that your kids will love! :) My Mom is always trying to find fun new things to make too!

big8smiley said...

That is the cutest little rice bag lizard! I love it!!! You'll have to post your finished product. I had a heating bean bag that I used to use. I loved it for the heat, but got sick of my bed smelling like beans, so I stopped using it. Rice would be much better.