Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Much Needed Update

I've been slacking on the blog entries lately. I have been SO busy that I just haven't had time.

In early November, it became clear that we would not have enough money to pay our bills and buy food, let alone provide any kind of Christmas for our kids. So, I started a paper route! It is a lot of work, but when I get paid, it makes it all worth it. I deliver The Daily Herald, The Deseret News, The Salt Lake Tribune, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and The Financial Times. At first, I thought I would NEVER figure it all out, but thankfully over time, I've improved.

The biggest piece of news is that we finally found a good Psychologist. He just does evaluations and testing and is an expert on Autism Spectrum Disorders. Marshall has officially been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I have thought that's what it was for many years, but I just wasn't sure because sometimes he's so different. The doctor is supposed to send us his report, along with a list of things to help us get control over his behaviors. He is SO difficult lately. He jumps constantly and flaps his hands. He doesn't sleep well, and is too busy to eat. But, when he's in a good mood, it's so nice. He can be so sweet. He loves to talk to anyone and EVERYONE!! He runs off when we go places, because he wants to show someone how he can skip, or tell them what size shoes or clothes he wears. People don't even know he's talking to them, but he just keeps talking anyway. AaaaahhhhHH!!!!! It is embarrassing and frustrating when he lays down on the floor (face down) while I'm waiting in the check-out line at Cabelas. He lives in his imaginary world of super heroes, and is CONSTANTLY putting his coat on with just the hood so it can be his cape. He is ALWAYS fighting bad guys, or playing "pretend Toontown", or "Pretend Ultimate Allianace" (his 2 favorite computer/video games).

Well, that's all the update I have time for now. I'm really tired and need to take a nap so Brian and I can go out tonight. Here are some pictures from Christmas though.







6 comments:

Rhonda said...

I'm so glad you are getting somewhere with the diagnosis! It makes things easier when there is a label..though, as you know, not so much easier to live with until you get concrete help in treating it.

I am glad to see the Christmas day smiles on your boys. Happy new Year aprilyn!

The.Emo.Pirates(: said...

i'm using some of your pictures for my blog, and no matter what you say, i'm not taking them down. feel free to have a look. thanks! i love you.
mOLLY AND aUZ

big8smiley said...

It looks like you had a great Christmas! I'm glad it all worked out. Even though the paper route thing is difficult, I'm glad you are doing better with it and were able to provide for your boys. :)

I'm so happy for you to finally have a diagnosis! That has to feel rewarding, just for the fact that now people will actually listen to you! Good luck with everything. You are so patient!

Autumn said...

Aprilyn I have been so bad at reading blogs lately!! GOOD for you for doing a paper route! Awesome. We did a ton of them growing up-my parents say it made me snap out of shyness.

I wish I knew what to say about Marshall. That would be hard and embarassing. I have always admired parents who have an older child with autism who have learned to deal with people looking at their kid and just roll it off their backs. I'm sure that will come!

Lisa - Mum to Mitch,Harry and Jack said...

So gald that you are finally getting some answers for the M-Man. BUT what a long, hard road it has been. Your resiliance never ceases to amaze me.
Hugs,
Lisa xx
(Your Aussie friend)

Becky Seymour said...

So fun to see your blog. I keep mine pretty updated, feel free to stalk my blog as I am stalking yours. Cute family! I enjoy you greatly at UTVA! Nathan is adorable, and SOOOO smart!
Thanks