Thursday, May 28, 2009

Medication Mixup

Tuesday evening, I picked up a refill of Marshall's sleep medication, Clonidine. To make an extremely long story short (and since I'm very tired), the medication was NOT Clonidine. Apparently, the Pharmacy Tech filled the bottle with Valium! So instead of getting .2mg of Clonidine, Marshall got 2 mg of Valium. Needless to say, it has not been a good few days in the Bucklein home. Marshall had to go to the ER Tuesday night and they gave him Benadryl and Clonidine to help him go to sleep. He finally did go to sleep around 1:30am and was COMPLETELY out when they got home around 3am. He was not in control of his muscles anymore thanks to Valium! There are so many more things I could write about what is going on but I just don't have time or the energy to do so. Just know that he is waking up OK now but he is having MAJOR mood swings. He is so out of control but I'm not upset by this. He doesn't want to be out of control. I feel so bad for him and I hope tomorrow will be better. He needs to be able to function.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Holy Cow! What did the pharmacy do about it? Mixing up any medications is sooo incredibly dangerous. I hope he is starting to function better. That is so scary! I am sorry you had this to deal with on top of everything else. Please take care!

Paige said...

Wow, that is scary. That could be so dangerous! Hopefully you let the pharmacy know their mistake. Poor Marshall and poor you! Hopefully things calm down in the next few days.

Crissybug said...

I can't believe that. Thankfully he is okay. Hopefully it won't take too long to get back to normal.

Kristin said...

Yikes! That is so awful. I am sorry you guys have had to go through this extra "adventure."

I didn't get your message until super late last night, so I didn't call. And today has been very long. I am sure I will catch up with you soon.

You are a very devoted mom. I admire all of the careful thought you put into raising your great boys. As my grandpa always says, "Keep the faith."

Amy Sorensen said...

Aprilyn, I got your message today but didn't call back because I didn't want to bug you---was hoping things were calming down and maybe you were getting some sleep. HOLY COW, I can't believe that happened. What a mess. That's an ENORMOUS mix up. I'm glad Marshall is OK. HUGS!

big8smiley said...

So crazy and scary. Thankfully Marshall is OK and it didn't cause anything life-threatening. You are good not to be mad. I think I'd be ticked. Good luck getting back to normal. :)