Thursday, May 7, 2009

Naperville Trip Part One

For the first time in 18 yrs, I went back to Naperville. Ok, I lied. I went back one other time but it was only for a few days. This time I got to see more people but it just went by way too fast! Here we are all loaded up and ready to go. We took Brian's mom with us to help entertain Marshall. Here's a better view of Nate in the back...


Before we left, we gave Nathan a little surprise....
After much coaxing, someone FINALLY convinced me to teach their cihldren piano. In exchange for piano lessons, they bought Nate a brand new Nintendo DS, a carrying case, and 2 games. He was SHOCKED!!!






Needless to say, we never heard a peep out of that boy the WHOLE trip!! He was happy as could be. :) He's always been such an easy going kid anyway.

It was a very long drive but we finally made it to our destination... Naperville, Illinois. I was so happy to finally be HOME. I've lived in Utah longer than I lived in Naperville but it still felt like finally I was home.

We had a whirlwind of a visit. We got in late Thursday night and stayed with a very generous family. Our children formed a lasting bond during that week and they can't wait to see each other again.

Friday we went to The Museum of Science and Industry. I'm sure Nate could spend DAYS there exploring and learning...it's right up his alley. Marshall seemed to enjoy it but I think it was way too overstimulating to him. He kept running away and just couldn't stay focused on anything for more than a second or two. He loved the Idea Factory section of the museum. It had lots of water to play with. That's right up his alley. He seemed to have a great time there.

Saturday, Brian and Nate spent the day at Great America while I went to a rehearsal. The guys had a great time and Nate even rode ALL the thrilling rollercoasters and LOVED them!! He also tried a new food... footlong chili cheese dog. Way to go Nate!!

Here are a few pictures from the rehearsal I went to. The reason I went to Naperville in the first place was because my Mother started a children's choir 25 yrs ago and they were having an alumni choir at the 25th anniversary concert and wanted a Grubbs family member to be there. Brian thought it was important enough for me to go so I went. Here are a few pictures..

Top: Jacque Hilton Clermont, Me, and Jayne (I forgot her name! I sang in choir with Jacque and this is her older sister.)


Me and Judy Herring. What a great lady she is! She accompanied and helped direct Young Naperville Singers (My mom's choir) for many years. She also taught music at my Elementary School. I really missed her!

Sunday, we drove around and showed the kids where I used to live and go to school. This was our first home in Naperville. It was on Lilac Lane. I'm pretty sure we have a picture of us kids standing by that tree. I remember there being a birch tree too but I didn't see that anywhere. Here is us by the tree in 1978 and the picture below was taken on Sunday.



Our second house was on Pawnee Lane. Most of my childhood memories are there. We moved to this house when I was in 2nd grade.



The people who lived next door to me happened to be home so I stopped and said hello. Here are Mr. and Mrs. Nolle.



That is all I can get done tonight. Look for part 2 hopefully tomorrow.

3 comments:

Bill Grubbs said...

Judy Herring looks the same, but I would have never recognized the Noles.

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful trip down memory lane! Looks like a great time. ANd yahhhh for the quiet kiddo who got to play video games the whole drive. GENUIS!

Mom G said...

Great to see you and your family. It is great to be able to relive the good old days, isn't it! Glad you made it back safely.