Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and the WHAT THE HECK AM I GONNA DO?

I went to the dentist today because it's been 5 yrs and because I have a problem with my gums. After looking online, I was sure I had Periodontitis, a gum disease. I've been beating myself up about it for a few days now. I knew I should have gone to the dentist earlier but it's so flippin' expensive. I don't have dental insurance and it gets pretty pricey. They did four X-Rays for free but then they needed to do a panoramic x-ray so they could get more details. Well, I found out I'm missing quite a few teeth. They said I don't have any bicuspids. (News to me! I think I vaguely remember having someone mention that.) It's funny to look at the panoramic X-ray and see all the screws in my jaw. (I really DO have a few screws loose!)

The good is that I don't have periodontitis!

The bad is that hat I only have 2 very small cavaties. Not too shabby for 5 yrs without seeing a dentist! Not that I can afford to have them filled but hey, I only have two!

The WHAT THE HECK AM I GONNA DO is that my gums are reeceeding and they don't know why. Lovely. Also, the roots in my teeth are still dissolving. I knew it had started to happen but I didn't realize how serious it was. They said I'm way too young for this kind of thing to be happening. The dentist thinks it is because my bite is off. (Note to Dad- looks like that jaw surgery didn't pay off so well. Sorry about that!) The dentist told me to move my bottom jaw to the left, then the right. I can move it to the left just fine but I can not move it to the right at all. Now my jaw is hurting from trying so hard today (and from having my mouth open so long). They think the other reason this is happening is because of all the orthodontics stuff I had done. The dentist said they probably moved my teeth too fast and too much. GOOD ONE ORTHODONTIST!! I don't recall asking for braces in the first place. Oh well. What's done is done. Now I get to live with it. The dentist said a bite plate could possibly help. It's not possibly gonna happen because that would cost over $400. Yeah, I think I'll just deal with the problems thank-you very much!



2 comments:

big8smiley said...

Oh no!!!! And THAT is why I dread trips to the dentist!! It seems like they always seem to find something wrong and it's always bad news. I hope you are able to get the work done you need. How are you going to sing if you are toothless? It will be really hard to understand just what you are trying to say. I guess you will still be able to type! (sorry, I had to add in a little humor to try to cheer you up!)

Aprilyn said...

Haha! I'm gonna sing anyway! I'll sing, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth..." hehe :)