
Mom doing what she loved most- directing her children's choir, Young Naperville Singers

Our family Christmas 1992, one month before she died
I can still remember the day she died. It was a very cold, VERY snowy morning in January. She had been sick for a long time, and we had basically watched her die slowly. I was a bratty teenager, and did my best to avoid being around my dying mother. It was hard. Looking back, I wonder if I was avoiding her in hopes that if I didn't accept the fact that she was dying, then she would live. Well, whatever I was doing, it didn't matter. She died anyway. Gosh, that was hard to deal with. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore, and then I cried again. I missed her terribly (still do). I wondered how I could ever be the same.
Well, here I am 18 years later. I am not the same (THANK GOODNESS). I've grown up a lot. My life hasn't turned out picture perfect like I had planned in my head, but it's perfect enough. What have I learned since then? I will never know why I had to lose my mother so early in life, but I kind of feel like one trial in life prepares you for the next.
Through a series of wrong choices, I married a guy in 1996, and immediately knew I had made a mistake. But, I was determined to live up to my mistake and make it better. I tried for 6 1/2 yrs to make that marriage work, but I couldn't do it. I got one REALLY awesome kid out of the deal, and divorce was the best thing I did in that relationship. It was hard to be a single Mom. Heck, I was pretty much a single Mom all of Nate's life. That is, until I met my husband Brian.
Brian and I were married in 2003, and we are ALL very happy. Nate doesn't remember his "real" Dad, and that's just as well since his "real" Dad was using drugs among other things. Brian became Dad (legally as well in 2005). We were a happy family of 3, and then Marshall joined our family. He was born October 24, 2004, but was very premature.
Marshall is a joy, and we really are happy to have him in our family, but he has a form of Autism, and most of the time he is really out of control. He doesn't like to be, but he can't always help it. It isn't easy being the mother of an Autistic child. Heck, it isn't easy being the brother or Dad of an Autistic child either. Every day we wonder how we're going to get through the day, but every day we manage. (Some days better than others.)
So, what does all this have to do with losing my Mom? I'd like to believe that Heavenly Father was preparing me for the stress and heartache and challenges that come when I make wrong choices and marry the wrong guy, then have to live with those choices and make it right again. I'd like to think that losing my Mom at such a crucial time in my life was preparing me to raise Nate to be a wonderful young man who has an unshakable testimony of God the Father, and His son Jesus Christ, and of the Atonement (among other things). I'd like to think it was preparing me for the stress and joys of raising a child with Autism.
If I could have it any other way, would I change it? As much as I want my mother around, I'm not sure I would be the person I am today if I hadn't gone through that stress. Plus, I have a great step-Mom. She doesn't take the place of my mother, nor does she want to, but I've learned that another Mother can love me too, and that feels pretty good.
The thing that helps the most though, is knowing that death is not the end. I WILL see my Mother again someday. My parents were married and sealed for time and all eternity in the temple so that our family circle won't be broken if we repent of our sins, and do our best to follow the commandments. (More on temples here). It's really what gets me through when I miss her the most.
8 comments:
I remember that cold, very snowy, very sad day that your mother died. I can't imagine how hard that has been. You are one great woman!
That Christmas picture is exactly how I remember your family. What a wonderful tribute to your great mom. She was and still is a fantastic woman all the way 'round.
What a beautiful post. You are an amazing woman and mom! I'm sure your mom is so proud of the woman you have become.
I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing, Aprilyn. I didn't know that you avoided your mom. Your take on it seems to make sense. That would be so hard to come to grips with.
Hugs to you!!
Love, Autumn
ps, I read some of the stuff your kids said, I love it "if you need help, I'll be right here."
Autumn, I just updated my sidebar with more thoughts from Marshall. That boy does crack me up!! I agree with you...that is one of my favorites too. Nate was completely embarrassed though. :)
How we loved your mom! She was such a special person. Who knows why she was taken so young. But I do know that she touched so many lives, including those of our family. I am sure that she loves you still and that she helps you and the other children in ways we cannot know. Thanks for a beautiful post. B. Gibson
I agree with you. We are prepared along the way. I have always carried that point of view with me and thankfully we understand that life was not meant to be easy. I enjoyed reading this post and I think that you are very strong and a wonderful person. You have done a great job with what you have been given and I'm sure you are smiled upon from above.
Aprilyn, this post makes me tear up. I so appreciate your memories. I too remember the day your mom died. As a young kid, I just couldn't possibly conceive of what your family was going through.
Your mom would be so proud of your life, your hard journey, and your darling family.
Beautiful thoughts...
taani
Post a Comment