Monday, November 7, 2011

No More Lego Battles

Marshall has been EXTREMELY obsessed with one Nintendo DS game: Lego Battles. If he isn't playing the game on his DS, he is playing it in his head, or writing lists of the game characters, or building the characters with Legos. I decided that I needed to take his game away, and attempt to get this boy to cope with change. It very nearly broke his heart. He cried and cried this morning. He thought his world was over. He was certain he would never be happy again.

Brian was in bed, and called Marshall in to snuggle with him so he could attempt to explain to Marshall why I took his game. I went in there too, hugged Marshall, and told him I love him. In between sobs, he said, "I only love you a little." Hahahaha. I laughed and laughed. Then, because he was mad that I laughed at him, he coughed in my face. It was a big, fake cough. He was coughing in my face to get me back. I just laughed some more. I thought it was the funniest thing ever!

I finally had to tell Marshall that he could still play his game in his head. That made him happier, and he was able to stop crying before the bus got there. I'm sure he will keep begging for the game tomorrow, but I have to be firm. I need my son to learn that there will be changes, and he has to adapt. It's going to be rough, but we will make it.

No comments: