Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Sleep Doc Update


Inquiring minds want to know what's going on with my Marshall-man. There is so much to write about so I'll have to start with just the sleep doctor visit and then I will write more tomorrow.

Before the end of summer break, (woah, I'm waaaay behind) we went to see Dr. Pfeffer again. She is the BEST Pediatric Sleep Specialist there is
! She has officially diagnosed him with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, or PLMD. We decided to try the medication Neurontin again, even though we had bad side effects before. I don't remember if he was almost 2 or almost 3 when we tried that medicine before but he got SO out of control angry while on it, that we begged the doctor to let us take him off of it. We decided to give it a shot again because he is older and because he is taking Risperidone, which really help the anger issues. It wasn't quite enough and we
didn't like that our boy was getting more and more agitated and angry. Not to mention, he wasn't sleeping any better. So we went off that medication and tried Mirapex, but we were seeing no results, positive or negative, and we figure why give a kid a drug that doesn't work for him? I am not one to give meds unnecessarily. She did have his Ferritin levels checked. He had to have blood drawn. I hate having to hold my sweet boy down while they jab a needle in his arm!! It about breaks my heart every time! The results came back that his Ferritin levels were low so we started him on an additional iron supplement from the one he already gets in his multivitamin. We are supposed to have his Ferritin levels checked again in about a month from now to see if they are high enough to pull back on the extra iron. Sometimes he sleeps through the night, but mostly he doesn't. Tonight he had a REALLY difficult time settling down for bed. It's probably because Brian was teaching toni
ght and I didn't do his normal bedtime routine. I need to be better about that. I just really wanted to get the dishes done and dinner put away before it got too late. So, where are we on sleep now? We had 2 TERRIBLE nights in a row last week. I am SO VERY grateful that we haven't had a repeat of that because I was so exhausted I don't think I could handle many more nights like that. He was literally THRASHING about in his bed while he was sleeping. We don't know what was going on but he was very upset about something. The first night, I brought him to bed with Brian and I, and was able to get him to calm down and go to sleep next to me, but he kept kicking! Poor Brian ended up on the couch for a few hours of sleep. That was not fun. The next night was worse! The thrashing was mor
e intense, and he was visibly upset about something but we don't know what. I tried to talk to him and he would open his eyes and look at me but then just crash around on his bed again. I finally got him down and put him in bed with me but I still have no idea what was going on with him. Brian and I barely slept at all that night because he kept screaming in his sleep and tossing around. Neither the sleep doc, nor the Pediatrician have any clue as to what was going on or how to prevent it from happening again. Gotta love that response, huh?!

Well, I think that covers the sleep update. Tune in next time to read about the latest adventures in school, soccer, OT, Feeding Therapy, and more doctor visits.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh you make me laugh! I am sorry to hear things aren't going well with sleeping! I just did an update on my family blog about our visit with Dr. Pfeffer today and I was saying that I have been dealing with this for over 27 months straight (Josh's age) and I was tired. I can imagine how bad it gets as time goes on. I feel for you Aprilyn!! Dr. Pfeffer talked to us about that limb movement thing too. I guess DD kids have a higher chance of it. I am looking forward to hearing about feeding therapy and how things are going in that area! Thanks for posting!

Marisa said...

Aprilyn,
My cute neice had major thrashing at night. It ended up her airway was so small that she thrashed around trying to get air in. Once her tonsils were removed (which opened her airway considerably) she slept like a new person! I don't know if that would help your son at all, but thought I'd share her experience with you. Good luck!

Aprilyn said...

Thanks for thinking about us Marisa! He has Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea still, after having his tonsils and adenoids removed. He is supposed to wear a Cpap mask, but it totally freaks him out so he won't wear it. We're working with his Occupational Therapist in an attempt to get him to wear it for just 30 min. a day. His airway was so constricted that his doctor did surgery on him even though he wasn't even 2 yrs old yet. He could have died from the obstructions!
We would love to have another sleep study done so we can check on his Oxygen saturations, but Medicaid will not pay for them now so we're out of luck.

Marisa said...

My husband does sleep appliances for people with mild to moderate sleep apnea. It's a nifty little "retainer" looking appliance that fits in the mouth and opens the airway. He's never had a patient as young as your son, but he does many many of these appliances for people who are cpap intolerant. You can check out their website at www.utahsleep.com. If you're interested I could probably work out a deal for you--I know the doctor:) Anyway, good luck and keep your smile on!