
For Singing Time today, I've decided to play Jenga with the kids. I'll use my "HOPE you get a turn jar" (a flower pot I was given that has the word HOPE painted on it) to choose helpers. I printed the temple cards from previous issues of The Friend, and had them laminated. Then I printed the kids names on them in permanent marker. That way, if they move, or graduate from Primary, they can take their temple card with them.
So, I'm going to write the words for the song, "As a Child of God" on the chalkboard, and then set up my Jenga game on the table. Every time a child pulls out one of the Jenga pieces, we will erase one of the words for the song, and we won't sing that word anymore. They still have to think about what the word is because they have to keep going with the song. When the tower falls, we will sing the whole song (even the words that have been erased will be sung again).
I'm still kind of in the planning stages on this one, so if I change how I do this, I will do another post about it.
I want to incorporate a little more understanding of the words, not just memorizing. I want to get the kids to think about the words and apply them in their lives. I don't want there to be such a focus on the activity that I forget the purpose of Singing Time. The Sharing Time outline says,
"Music in Primary should establish a reverent atmosphere, teach the gospel, and help children
feel the influence of the Holy Ghost and the joy that comes through singing."
So, how do I maintain a reverent atmosphere, but still allow the kids to do wiggle songs, and play a game? What are your thoughts on this subject?
1 comment:
Here's what I did with Jenga -
http://musictimewithsisterp.blogspot.com/2011/11/jenga.html
My primary kids LOVE this one.
In the Outline, the February Side Bar says "Children can learn through fun activities
and movement and
still maintain an attitude
of reverence. “Reverence . . . does not equate with
absolute silence” (Boyd K.
Packer, “Reverence Invites Revelation,” Ensign,
Nov. 1991, 22)."
I've learned just to try something out. If the kids can quiet down easily after an activity and are still paying attention, I consider it good. If they continue talking or heckling (we have some of those boys,) or bored. I kick that activity realizing it didn't bring the spirit.
Good Luck!
Post a Comment