
My mother died 19 years ago in January. She would have been 65 years old today. I really miss my Mom, and think of her often. I'm grateful for the 18 years I hadwith her on this earth. She taught me more than I realize.
When my youngest sister Stefanie got married, I decided to make a book for her, filled with memories of our mother. I sent out emails to many people, and got an overwhelming response. She touched so many lives, and made them better just by being there. As I look at my life, I can't help but wonder, hav
e I made people's lives better just by ME being who I am? I definitely have much room for improvement in that area.

One of Mom's dear friends (and college roommate), Sandy Lowe said of her, "She was a lovely woman; the kind I always wished I was: t
all, slender, clean , and very kind. You could see the kindness in her beautiful eyes. She had a testimony of the Gospel, of the Savior, and of the Atonement. Her words were always well thought out, and her opinions seemed wise."

Judy Peterson, Mom's closest personal friend from Naperville
wrote, "Things I remember about your Mom:1. She was a morning person. She always had a hard time staying awake in the evening. She would begin to nod off about 9:30 at night, even when she really wanted to stay awake and visit. One of the first Christmases we knew you, your Mom was making this wonderful plum cake to give to someone. It was
late at night when s
he put it in the oven, and it had to bake for an hour. She tried so hard to stay awake, but fell asleep and didn't wake up until morning. The cake had been baking for 6 or 7 hours. It had shrunk to about a third of it's original size, and looked like a black brick. She was able to laugh about it."
I think that is so funny!! I have a hard time staying awake late at night too. I think laughing at my mistakes is a great idea because otherwise I might take myself too seriously.

Judy also said,
"7. She sure loved her kids. There was nothing more important to her
8. I can't even begin to talk about music. I have wonderful memories of YNS, singing in trios with your Mom, or helping our kids when they tried out for school musicals, etc. Then there was Nauvoo. What an experience! And do you remember the time we did a fireside up at the temple for all the temple workers?"
There are so many more memories, but even better than all the memories everyone shared perhaps, is her testimony. She wrote it down, and my Dad gave me us all a copy of it. She said, "One of the most challenging aspects in my relationship with Heavenly Father has been to imagine Him, His personality, etc, especially when I have not been fortunate to have a strong relationship with an earthly father. However, that hasn't stopped me from feeling close to Him. I know that He loves me unconditionally, that He blesses us all far more than we are worthy. I have no doubt that Joseph Smith restored the gospel in it's fullness in these latter days, and that *President Kimball is the mouthpiece of God today. I believe in the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.I feel I can never repay the Savior for the debt He paid for me through His atoning sacrifice. I have felt His influence time and again in my life. There is no joy sweeter than the presence of the Spirit of God. I have experienced it on many occasions, and I Have no doubt as to the fact that there is a Godhead, there being three separate entities therein. They are very real and are axioms for us to make them a part of our lives."
*President Spencer W. Kimball was the Prophet when Mom wrote this. Today, President Thomas S. Monson is our Prophet, and the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
No comments:
Post a Comment