My family is so important to me, and I don't think I do the best job of making sure they really know I love them. It hasn't been easy having a child with an "invisible" disability. I have always second guessed myself, especially when people tell me they never would have guessed that Marshall has Asperger's Syndrome. I guess got so caught up in the feeling of having to find things wrong with him that I forgot to look at all the good he does. He is such a great kid with tons of potential. Don't get me wrong. We still have big battles, but things are better than they used to be. Sister Wixom said, "Talking, listening, and encouraging do not happen quickly. They cannot be rushed or scheduled-they happen best along the way. When we listen, we see into the hearts of those around us. Heavenly Father has a plan for each of His children. Imagine if we could get a glimpse of the individual plan for each of our children. What if we could know how to enhance their spiritual gifts? What if we could know how to motivate a child to reach his or her potential? What if we could know how to help each child transition from childlike faith to testimony?"
I've decided to memorize (again) 2 Nephi 25:26. In this scripture, Nephi, a prophet in The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, tell us, "We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ..that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."
I will take it one day at a time. I know I can improve. I have been SO BLESSED to have a beautiful family, and I need to stop the negative talk, and look for the good in my children.
2 comments:
Good for you Aprilyn! None of our kids are perfect and we worry about each one of them in different ways but I know that for me when I focus on the good THEY FEEL THAT and they feel better about themselves and DO better too. It is hard sometimes but a positive attitude attracts other positive people and seems to always bring me more positive things to be grateful for. We love and miss your family. I LOVE the picture of Nathan and Marshall together!!! Precious!
Thanks for the encouragement Kathryn. We love and miss you guys too. Your kids have grown so much, and we haven't even met your newest addition. Actually, I'm not sure we ever met Davis either. Maybe next year we can afford to go to the Grubbs Family Reunion.
Post a Comment