Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring Break


Well, Spring Break started after school Friday. He started feeling run-down Thursday. Friday he was dragging but I told him to just try to make it through since it was his last day before Spring Break. Unfortunately, by Friday night, he was coughing so we started his nebulizer treatments. He kind of stayed low key all day Saturday. I got busy getting a million things done (like always) and forgot I was going to take him to the after-hours clinic. I figured it's just viral so I gave him more nebulizer treatments and thought he would get better. Unfortunately, he didn't. He got worse. So Sunday morning, Briand and I had to sing in the choir. We all went to Sacrament Meeting and left Nate home (we live right across the street from the church). I felt bad about it but Brian kept saying I really needed to sing in the choir. After Sacrament Meeting was over, I came home to check on Mr. Sicko. I remembered that he has a Peak Flow Meter which measures the rate at which you can get air out of your lungs. I had him do the peak flow and his was very low. So, it was off to the doctor. But first, I needed to get the pork roast in the crockpot for Sweet Pork Roast Tacos. I thought I had purchased everything I needed to make these, but soon found out I was out of brown sugar! Ugh!! Lucky for me, my downstairs neighbor was home with her little girl who was also sick. So, being the great neighbor I am, I borrowed from her! I ran back upstairs to throw the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot and realized we had no salsa either! Neighbor to the rescue again. See how spoiled I am?! After borrowing AGAIN, I finally got it all in the crock pot, turned it on low , and ran out the door to take my poor coughing son to the doctor. The result was croup. Yeah, I knew that already. They gave him a dose of Decadron (a steriod to help open up the lungs) and sent us on our merry way, encouaging us to keep going with the nebulizer treatments. Well, Monday he wasn't feeling any better so it was back to the doctor again (why did my Pediatrician have to go out of town this week?!). Now we're told he is just having a really bad asthma attack. This doctor prescribed Prednisone (same kind of thing as Decadron) but had him take it for more days. She also said to give him breathing treatments very four hours but also do two back to back. He had several that were only 2 hrs apart. It took a long time but he was finally well enough to play with friends. He still coughs but at least he's not wheezing anymore! He coughs every once in a while and it's a LOUD barking cough. At least it doesn't last as long anymore.

Well, being the absent-minded person that I am, it never occurred to me that the crock pot might not be turned on!! So our Easter dinner was cooked chicken strips with BBQ Sauce on top of lettuce. That's about all I could figure out how to make without borrowing even more! What a waste of food!! We didn't realize the crock pot wasn't plugged in until it was too late.

Now it's Marshall's turn to be sick. He has a sinus infection and has been coughing more tonight. Here we go again.

6 comments:

RebeccaVert said...

Asthma is NO FUN!!! Kaydee and I are Pro's at running to the hospital in the middle of the night when she isn't breathing too well.... It's so hard to watch them Suffer!!!! Sorry he was sick....and Poor Marshal....i hope he gets better fast!!!

Lol....I have done the same thing with my crock pot.....OooooH doesn't it just frustrate you to the MAX!?!?

~Becca

Melissa said...

Your Easter weekend sounded like mine.... sick! I hope that both kids are on the mend.

big8smiley said...

What a rumper! The good thing is that it was over spring break and he didn't miss lots of school. The bad thing is, that it was over spring break!!! At least summer is just around the corner and there will be plenty of play time. With as cold as spring break was anyway, he probably didn't miss much.

Jessica said...

Your blog is always so much fun to read. I love your lay out!

Melanie Lutz said...

Aprilyn you sound like me. Do you ever have a week without at least 2 doctors appt? Keep it up!!!! Sorry about the sick kids!

Rhonda said...

We've been hit with the asthma bug here too. I was up all night with Ricky (hey, at least it wasn't BEN this time!) and came real close to taking him to ER. I'm prepared to take him tonight becuase I think it's going to take some steroids to get him through. I missed the mothers day singing in church today because I didn't want to take him coughing so bad and I also wanted to be with him. Mom's don't really get a day off, do they!? Hope everyone's on the mend there.