Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bad Day

Marshall had a bad day at school. I mean, so bad that the teacher had to call me. She said the end of last week started getting bad, but this week was progressively getting worse. I don't know what to do with him. This is what he is like normally for us. I think it's interesting that he is behaving like this for his teacher now.

Last week, we started weaning him off the medication Intuniv because he was too sleepy. He was falling asleep on the bus, and then sleeping all afternoon. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the calm evening, but it's not him. So, we started taking him off the meds because we didn't like what it was doing to him. Apparently, the teacher thinks he needs them because he was not doing well. He got worse today and she is trying to be patient with him. She made it sound like she thought he should be on the medication still even if it made him tired because he was quiet at school and was under control. UGH! Being a parent is full of tough decisions and this one is not easy. How do I medicate him correctly? I just don't know. It's going to take a lot of time on my knees. There is only one person who knows what is best for Marshall, and that is Heavenly Father. I need to pray and ask for His guidance. Marshall was His son before he was mine. He knows my boy very well. He also knows what challenges Marshall agreed to come to earth with. Personal inspiration is such a necessary tool to navigate this life correctly and confidently, as I heard Julie B. Beck say here.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Days like this are so hard. We had tough decisions like that to make many times with Ben. Does he have an aid at school just for him? See if you might be able to keep him on the meds but a lower does maybe? Just throwing things out there.

We ended up taking Ben of his med because it caused severe tachycardia. His teachers might prefer he be ON medication but the drawbacks were too heavy for us to continue. It's such a tough thing to raise kids that have issues varying from the norm. Like you said though, get on your knees, talk to the Drs, teacher, and then do what you feel is best. My thoughts are with ya though because I know it can torture a momma's soul to try to figure out what is best for her kiddo!!!

delsafeil said...

The medication issue is such a hard one. We faced those too. I did pray, but it was hard to decern what the right answer was. I don't think Heavenly Father is necessarily against medication. They were very helpful to us and son from time to time. Keep an open ear. Luvs