Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Getting Used to Missouri

Well, we've been here over a month now. Things are settling down a bit, but it sure takes getting used to out here. It's not just the humidity, (which I think we're getting more used to) or the fact that Nate is the only 6th grader at his school who is Mormon. It has been a bit of a shock for the boys to see SO many people around us smoking. There is a lot more of it here than there was in Utah, that's for sure. Our next door neighbors smoke, but we have found that regardless of whether or not they smoke, they are such nice people. We are making friends, and so far we really like it here in St. Joseph.

The ward here is nice too. I spoke in Sacrament Meeting last Sunday (our main meeting which everyone attends together), and I've been substituting in the Primary, teaching the 10 and 11 yr old's class. Last week we talked about Elijah, but I didn't have time to finish the lesson because they wouldn't be quiet, so I will finish that next week, assuming I am teaching again.

Nate is getting along better at school it seems. He has made some good friends, and likes his teacher. He has been made fun of because he's Mormon, but I'm really not sure why. I mean, what do they know about Mormons? What makes them think we're bad? I don't get it. My sister Stefanie suggested that next time he gets the reaction of "GASP! YOU'RE MORMON?!?", he should say, "Yeah. I am. Wanna see my horns?" Hehe. That would be so funny!

Marshall is doing OK in school. His teacher says he does a great job of paying attention and staying on task, which is a good thing. We have an appointment for an initial IEP meeting next Monday after school. I'll write an update after that. His teacher did say she feels like he needs help with his fine motor skills. She is such an AWESOME teacher! She is kind and loving, but at the same time, demands a lot out of the kids, and does not put up with inappropriate behavior. She has been a kindergarten teacher for 25 yrs I think she said. I know it's 20 something. I couldn't ask for a better teacher for Marshall. He loves everyone in his class. One little girl in his class is so sweet. She always helps him open his juice box or whatever else he needs help with. Another girl ran back to the classroom to get his lunchbox when he forgot it. I'm so happy that he has a lot of nice kids in his class.

I'm doing OK with my paper route. It's super easy, and after a week, I about have it completely memorized. I'll be subbing for someone on Saturday, then next week, I should be adding a 2nd route permanently. I look forward to getting enough money to always pay off student loans soon.

Brian is settling in to his teaching load. He's teaching 2 classes plus 2 labs. It's a lot of work, but he loves it. He got called to be the Webelos Den Leader with another guy in the ward. I think they will do great! Brian knows a lot about Cub Scouts, and the other guy is very good at discipline. It will be great, and we hope to take a few lessons from Bro. Angel on getting your family in order. He does a great job and they have 8 kids. If he & his wife can do that with 8 kids, I'm sure we can manage 2 (even if one has Autism).



2 comments:

Autumn said...

Aprilyn its been too long since I've been on here! Excited for your move. Excited to hear more about it. You look FABULOUS on facebook btw. You're a disappearing act! Yay for your newspapers. Whatever works!

Rhonda said...

sounds like things are going very well! :)