Monday, September 8, 2008

Homemade Bread 2nd Try



I've tried 2 recipes now for homemade bread. I'm trying to save us money and besides, who doesn't love the smell of homemade bread. Yummmmy! Well, I'm really struggling here. The first recipe I tried turned out to be quite tough. It was pretty yummy fresh out of the oven but later it wasn't so good. I decided to try my Great-Grandmother's recipe. I used to make cute little bread bears with that recipe. I asked my Dad for it. He gave me the recipe but it's not the one I remember! Ugh! I made it anyway. Unfortunately, I stink at shaping the loaves. I did it over and over and over again. Then I thought I had it and I let them rise while we held our Family Home Evening outside. It was SOO much cooler out there than in the house. More on our FHE plans later. Back to bread. SO, either I made the loaves too big or I let them rise too long. I guess I could have punched them down, kneaded them and tried again but it was time to get kids in bed so I baked them. They look nice but don't be fooled by appearances. I had a slice and it tasted a bit gooey. Ahhhh MAN! I tried. I won't give up but it's frustrating.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I love homemade bread, you'll have to share the recipe when you find the perfect one. And I love the picture of fall below, so pretty, we aren't quite there yet, but it's certainly getting colder.

And thanks for the suggestion with the signing dvd's, we actually have all of them and watch them, the boys really love them, and it makes it easy for Tom and I to learn as well.

Amy said...

It looks good to me! I'm never good at shaping loaves, but I don't care as long as it tastes good.

If you're wanting to try another plain old white bread recipe, the Amish White Bread on my food blog is one of my favorites..and really simple to make.

big8smiley said...

I have been making bread a bit more lately too. You are right, it's hard to make a loaf that is good later for sandwiches or whatever. My bread turned out really good and my family ate the whole first loaf straight out of the oven. I tried sandwiches with the 2nd loaf a couple of days later and the bread was pretty crumbly. I had to cut it really thick and my mouth was so parched I could hardly swallow my sandwich bites. LOL! After that I bought bread again. It is good when it is hot, though. Good luck finding a perfect mix.

MommyMert said...

Looks good to me... if you need to get rid of it, let me know. :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That looks good. Wheat bread is very difficult for me at least. Keep trying!