Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Help Me Learn..

I need to figure out a food budget. Sadly, we have not been too good at budgeting our money but I really really want to try. So, how much do you spend on groceries a month? What about those extras that you don't have to buy each month, like toilet paper? I just bought TP at Costco today. The package has 36 rolls in it and was $16.99. We won't be needing TP again for a while. I like to buy bread and freeze it. I wish I could make my own bread but there is a time and place for everything, right? I bought 8 loaves of bread. We won't eat that much in just a month. I'm just trying to figure this out. Please, make a comment and help me figure this out. Also, any easy, delicious recipes that don't require me to go out and get stuff would help. I have lots of sour cream, cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and frozen chicken. I have a few pounds of ground turkey because I found it to be cheaper than ground beef.

5 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

I buy the basics then when something is rock bottom price I buy more.
We had milk on sale for 1.99 a gal. I bought 10! I froze the ones we wouldn't need to use right away.
I am so not good at budgeting!
I will post later when I have more time and see if I have anymore tips

Kerry and Dave said...

This is so tricky! But I finally found something that works for us. Every Thursday, when I get the ads, I look through them and see what is on sale. Then, on Saturday morning, Dave and I plan (loosely based on what is on sale) what we are going to have for dinner every night that week. Then, that night, when Dave is home with the kids and the grocery store is empty, I do my shopping. It's relaxing and therapeutic, I think. I only buy what is on my list; I make my list based on what we are having for dinner and I keep a running list throughout the week when I realize we need something like TP, etc, so I don't forget. I usually only have to go to the store once a week and my goal is to spend less than $100. Anyway, that was probably more detail than you wanted to know, but so far it seems to work for us!

Tristen said...

I spend no more than $650 per month on groceries/toiletries/miscellaneous. This is tricky if I go to Costco too often! But that ends up being about 150 per week, with an extra 50-or-so dollars for the weeks that I go over! I'm a crazy budgeter, but I agree it's hard! I don't have any other tricks!

MommyMert said...

I like to get the ads on Sunday and on Tuesdays, and make a list of the things on sale. I also price match at Walmart. If you take the ads in and tell them when they are ringing it up, they will match the price. Saves me from going from store to store. I like coupons if I got them. I spend about 100 a week. I get my milk at BYU creamery, plus I watch for food that is clearanced (like this week I got cornbread for 25 cents, Maceys bread 25 cents, pork sausage 89 cents a roll, hot dogs for 30 cents a package. I buy extra and put them in food storage, and freeze a lot of stuff. like beef when it goes down to 99cents a pound). I used to make a menu, but I found it cost me more because I planned for bigger meals. I like to have a new recipe night, and a breakfast for dinner night... find something that works for you. Plan doubles sometimes so you can eat leftovers. Anyhoo.. good luck.

Recipes?? Uh.. Ive got a bunch o casseroles, but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

big8smiley said...

When I make a casserole, I double it and put the other dish of it in the fridge for the next night. Then I just offer a new side dish the next night for variety. That way I don't have to shop for or think up as much different stuff. It also makes it easier for me to incorporate more fruits or vegetables because I only have to work on a side dish on those leftover nights.

I also buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts when they are on sale and freeze them all individually. Then when I need them, I boil them for an hour and shred it. I can get away with just 1 chicken breast for a meal (depending on the meal) because it goes so much farther when it's shredded.