Monday, July 21, 2008

What You Do When You Don't Fit In Anymore

I went to a see a friend speak in church yesterday. He just got home from his mission. I was his buddy when he was a little boy. We have great memories together. Unfortunately, things got really crazy after my Mom died and I didn't get to spend much time with him or his brothers. I really regret not being there and staying a part of their lives but I was struggling to live my own life. The last time I saw this boy was probably 5 1/2 yrs ago. Now he is a returned missionary and all grown up. Where did the time go? I was an important part of his life when he was little but I disappeared. I'm so lucky he and his brothers didn't forget about me. I miss them all and wish I was still part of their life. So, yesterday we went to his house after church to visit. I talked with Tim for a while and he's still the kind boy I remember. After a while of sitting there watching my husband fall asleep on the couch, I decided to go downstairs and play with the kids. So, what do you do when you don't fit in anymore? You play with the kids, that's what! Tim's brother Andrew was one of my best friends growing up. He's only a couple years younger than me. His little girl didn't want to talk to anyone but I decided to see if I could get her to talk to me. I got the first thing I could think of...Marshall's tie. I put it on my face and pretended to be an elephant. Before I knew it, all the kids were playing with me. I was the Momma Elephant, Gracie was the Baby Elephant, 3 of the grandsons (who were 6 and 4--two are twins) were the zookeepers. It was a lot of fun! I stayed down there for a few hours playing with them. So, when you don't fit in anymore? Do what you do best...play with the little kids! I had a great time! They had me laughing so hard. :) I always need to play with my kids more so that gave me an opportunity. Marshall had such a great time! When I was putting him to bed, he asked me if we could go to my friend's house again and play in their big playroom. I'll have to call Delsa and arrange a time when her grandsons will be there to play with him too. It was good to see everyone and even though I don't fit in anymore, I'd still go back in a heartbeat. I love that family, even if I missed a lot of time with them and so I don't quite fit in. Nobody can ever take away the memories I have.

The Feil family invited me to their house for Thanksgiving the year I got divorced. So, I'm in the big family picture and Nathan is the little boy sitting on the stool next to me.

2 comments:

big8smiley said...

It sounds to me like you fit in just fine! I bet those kids won't soon forget that fun experience. :) You are awesome!

Kristin said...

I agree with the above...sounds like you did fit in, and had a great time (while making it far more fun for the kids too).

Sometimes adult conversation is over-rated anyway :) (at least that's what I tell myself!).