Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Plan

I have been trying to blog all week but life seems to fly by me. I'm too busy and I only have two kids!! What's my problem?

I'm still working hard on the diet and exercise plan. I'm getting so good at the diet that when I see cupcakes covered in frosting, I don't feel so bad. I just ordered a cake for our Blue and Gold Banquet for Cub Scouts. It will be a half sheet cake from Costco. On the order form it said that all their cakes are filled with 2 lbs of filling. You're kidding me?! TWO POUNDS?!! That's just wrong. I'm sure it tastes sooooo good but I'm sure I just don't need 2 lbs of filling plus cake, plus frosting. No thank-you. My reasons for wanting to lose weight are stronger than my desire to eat cake. Sure, I would enjoy it, don't get me wrong. But is it worth it? I don't think so. Not for me. I still really love Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and I even had some twice this week. I didn't have as big of a snack as I could have at my 2 snacks. Instead, I saved some calories for 1/2 cup of ice cream. It was delicious and I really could have eaten more, but I didn't. Hooray for me!

If you plan on dieting and have never been successful before, I totally recommend you read The Beck Diet Solution
This book is what helps me keep motivated to stick to my diet and exercise plan. The chapters are split into days. So you read the introduction first, then start with day 1. You have a little bit of homework each day but nothing big. You have to make up a card that has a list of your reasons for wanting to lose weight. You're supposed to read it frequently during the day and when you're having cravings. This book is wonderful and I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone who is going on a diet.

My diet plan is simple. Eat 1,700 calories a day. Keep your carbs at 50-60%, fats at 20-30% and protein 20-30% also. I have been really trying hard to eat more vegetables too.

Brian and I did a ton of research before we bought an exercise DVD. We tried Denise Austin but I can't stand that woman. I'm sure she's a really nice person but I can not stand her exercise video. Her aerobics routine is very repetitive and annoying. I also wanted one that was filmed in THIS century. The poofy hair and matching legwarmers of Kathy Smith's workout video for beginners was not my style. The 80's music was great for the 80's. I am not living in the 80's now. We found this awesome website that lets you preview the exercise DVD's and read reviews on them too. We looked at lots and finally decided on Kathy Voight's Burn and Firm.
You can decide if you want to do the full circuit (45 min), just cardio (24 min), abs, thighs, and butt, or just strength training (I think). We do the full circuit every other day because it involves weights and my arms need a break. I'm a wimp, what can I say? I like this DVD because I can't always get outside and go for a brisk walk. We live on the top floor of a Duplex and it isn't so extreme that we are bugging the neighbors.

I will update as soon as I weigh in tomorrow and get the results. I've been drinking more water. I hope it made a difference. I need to win this!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Crossing my fingers for awesome results tomorrow!

I sure admire you. I won't tell you what I ate today, but it wasn't pretty. I am not saying no to that cupcake...that's for sure!

Rhonda said...

great tips and motivation for the rest of us Aprilyn! Keep on going!

big8smiley said...

Good job on sticking to your diet! I am right there with you when it comes to food. It's good to have a taste, but you don't have to eat the whole flippin' carton for pete's sake. I've learned to be satisfied with a small serving. That way I get to still feel like I got a treat and I'm not deprived.