Saturday, February 14, 2009

Socialism By Degrees

I have been thinking a lot about where our country is headed. What can I do? How can I sit back and let this happen? I feel helpless. It's not like our government was wonderful before and now suddenly we are in so much trouble. It's more like, we were getting worse and worse and now it has taken a huge leap in a bad direction. Everyone wanted CHANGE. That's why they voted for Barack Obama. Well, they are certainly getting change. Just not the kind of change I want. If I had wanted that kind of change, I could move to Russia. Or China. I hear it's lovely there this time of year...all those communists. Oh and not much freedom, and working your fingers to the bone for almost nothing. That doesn't sound like fun to me. No thanks. I'll stay in America where we enjoy so many freedoms. But that's all about to change. Thanks President Obama. Again, NOT the kind of change I wanted.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't really know that much about politics. I don't want to know what's going on because I just don't have time. It's much easier to live in my own little world and not worry about what's going on outside. I can't do that anymore. I have to educate myself and find out for myself what is going on in the world. I have been listening to Glenn Beck more lately (and that is still not much because I don't have much time). He talked about the latest stimulus package. How many people do you think actually READ the bill? I'm betting none. It was over 1,000 pages! Who has time to read that when there is an "emergency" vote. Does it bother anyone else that our GOVERNMENT LEADERS are passing bills that they have never read?! Does anyone else think Universal Healthcare is a bad thing? I sure do. Marshall is on Medicaid because Brian is a college student and we can't afford health insurance. I would hate for everyone to have to deal with Medical insurance like that. You are so limited in where you can go to see a doctor and what services they will pay for. Every 3 months, you have to fill out a review form with proof of income, etc.

If you have time to watch these videos, I think you should. They aren't long but well worth listening to.




7 comments:

Megan said...

Amen to everything said.
I'm a Glenn Beck fan too.

Elliot's Magah said...

Holy Cow!!! No wonder he was called a Prophet!

Melanie Lutz said...

I whole heartedly agree!! My husband is an avid follower of anything political. I cringe every time he says, "do you know what Obama did today?"

big8smiley said...

I agree with you on the scary situation. I did NOT vote for Obama and it had nothing to do with color. He scares the heck out of me. His change is not the change we need. I wonder what on earth all those idiots are thinking now that they voted him in. I am an avid listener to Sean Hannity. I hope like everything that this country will turn around, but at this accelerated pace I don't see that happening. I hope all my friends and family and myself are prepared for the worst.

Cindy Price said...

We just have to remember that our Prophets, now, are telling us that we are in hard times and that we need to have faith and just continue to live the gospel. All will be well.

I'm looking forward to our next General Conference because last time is was such a comfort to me. It helps to read over the talks or watch them again and again on lds.org

Pam's Place said...

Aprilyn, it's such a comfort to read that others feel the same way I do. I've tried sounding the alarm with a few friends, but the response is generally, "I don't have time", I don't understand politics", "There's so little I can do" (not true, by the way!). Have to be careful bringing these things up, because not everyone agrees.

I do agree with Cindy that all will be well, but that will be individually, not necessarily collectively in our country. It's still up to us as citizens to take an active part in the political process that will help salvage our freedoms. If we don't, we will lose them (much faster).

Pam's Place said...

PS There's a "We Surround Them" (promoted by Glenn Beck) gathering at 3 PM on Friday March 13 at Noah's in W? or S? Jordan. I'm going to try to go. There's also a Tea Party (to protest the rampant government spending) in Salt Lake this coming Friday, March 6. If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to provide what info I have.