
Well, in our case, it was chestnuts blowing up in the oven! I was attempting to make a pie crust for the 2nd time when the timer for the chestnuts went off. (My brother-in-law was roasting them in the oven.) I forgot about the time for a minute but then asked my brother-in-law if he could come get them out of the oven. As he went to open the door, we heard a loud explosion. It sounded like gun shots were being fired from inside the oven! The chestnuts were exploding! Three more blew up as he tried to get them out of the oven. We were laughing so hard!! He had peices of chestnuts in his hair and on his eyebrows. Then he remembered that you are supposed to cut slit in the nuts BEFORE roasting them. We were obviosly having trouble in the kitchen that day. After that, I gave up on my 2nd attempt at pie crust and sent my brother-in-law out to buy one. We had a great Thanksgiving anyway.
8 comments:
you are a very dangerous girl!!! i'd hate to see what you can do with a blender or a waffle maker!!!
Yikes!! I have never roasted chestnuts. If I ever do I hope I will learned from your mistake!! I think buying the pie crust was a great idea!!!
It's good to meet you Aprilyn! I've never even thought of attempting roasted chestnuts. But it sounds like a fun holiday idea. Are you from Prescott or is your husband's family? My dad grew up there.
Two things looking at past posts:
1 - LOVE the birthday party you did for your son.
2 - LOVE the fruit appetizer turkey idea. SO cute!
My husband is from LA and I'm was born in Toledo, Ohio but grew up in a suburb of Chicago. My husband's brother and his family moved to Prescott from Orange County, CA just in time to start school at the end of the summer.
there should be a public service announcement to let you know about the whole cutting a slit in them BEFORE roasting thing
I agree. It certainly would have been cleaner. It wasn't my fault actually. I wasn't even the one with the idea of roasting them. It was my brother-in-law. I'm working on writing different lyrics to the song Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.
That is AWESOME! I so wish I could have been there for that one. Hilarious! :)
So were any of them good enough to try eating? I've never done anything with a chestnut.
I tried eating them but I don't really care for them. My bro-in-law used them in the stuffing. He had Brian (hubby) and Phillip (our nephew, Bro-in-law's son) shell the chestnuts. It looked like a goopy mess. I'm glad I was busy failing to make a pie crust instead.
Post a Comment