Monday, October 8, 2007

About Marshall


This is Marshall. He is my darling, nearly impossible child. Marshall's birthday is October 24th and he will be turning 3. I can hardly believe it! He had a very rough start to life. He was born 6 weeks too early and spent the first 3 weeks of his life in the hospital's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. When we finally got him home, we were so happy but life has certainly been rough with him. I truly believe Heavenly Father doesn't give us more than we can handle. There are many days when I wonder if Heavenly Father really knows me and really thinks I can handle this child because he is such a difficult child. Although he is such a challenge to me, I would NEVER trade him in for anything in the world. I love this little boy so much! He can make me smile and laugh and see the world from a different perspective. Marshall struggles to sleep at night and very rarely takes a nap. This makes for a really tired Mommy and a really cranky Marshall. In the summer of 2006, he had to have his tonsils and adenoids removed because he was found to have severe obstructive sleep apnea. That means his tonsils and adenoids were blocking his airway. We were relieved to finally get an answer as to why the child wouldn't sleep! He sleeps better now than he used to but still wakes 3-4 times a night. He currently has Occupational Therapy once a week to help him learn to self soothe and to get him to work through his sensory problems. He has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified) and SID (Sensory Integration Dysfunction). PDD-NOS means he has some autistic-like behaviors but not enough to diagnose him as Autistic.

Today we had the 2nd half of his testing for the school district. He was classified as Developmentally Delayed and qualified for pre-school. He starts as soon as I have a meeting with the teacher and the principal. So basically, we're looking at starting right after his 3rd birthday. I'm so relieved!! This is what we've hoped and prayed for and what his doctors have recommended w0uld help him. I'm so grateful he qualified. This will make my life so much easier. Heavenly Father definitely hears and answers prayers in His own time. We just had to wait.

1 comment:

Cindy Price said...

I'm so glad Marshall can go to pre-school!! I'm sure he will do great!! And just think it will give you a much needed break!!