Friday, February 15, 2008

3rd Grade is Really Hard!


Nathan has been having a rough time lately. He says he hates school and he is angry a lot of the time at home. He is usually a pretty happy boy but this year he has been getting worse and worse! He is mean to his brother and argues like crazy with us when we try to help him! Does anyone else remember 3rd grade being that different than 2nd? He is getting all A's (even in 4th grade math) except he got a B in Language Arts because he can't think of what to write in his journal.
I think he's getting sick of being hit by his little brother all the time. We're trying really hard to get Marshall to quit hitting but nothing seems to work. He beats up Nathan all the time. This morning started with Nathan saying "It's morning" to Marshall when he saw that The BUB was awake. Marshall started SCREAMING, "No it isn't!!" Naturally, Nathan had to defend his position, since he was right after all. That lead to more screaming, Marshall kicking and hitting and screaming some more. Finally I put Marshall in bed with Brian and turned on Curious George. That got him to stay in there for a little while so I could get Nathan to do his Nebulizer treatment. When it was time for breakfast, Marshall came out to the kitchen and there was more screaming. Oh, how I love the sound of screeching voices in the morning! Marshall screamed through the prayer and insisted he was NOT going to eat. He finally did eat a few bites (which is truly a miracle) but remained ornery for the rest of the time we were at the table. THANKFULLY both boys are not at school and the fighting can stop for now. As soon as Nathan gets in the car after school, Marshall starts beating on him. AARRRGGHH!! Nathan screams at him to stop hitting, so I end up trying to drive while holding Marshall's hands so he can't hit Nathan. It's quite an adventure. I will just try to keep in mind the muscles I'm working out by holding Marshall's hands down. He's a very strong little boy.

3 comments:

Cindy Price said...

If I remember my boys had a hard time around eight or nine years old. It's hard having a sibling with special needs. Does your area have support groups/clubs for siblings? It might be nice for Nathan to talk to other kids and realize he is NOT alone. Our area has a club were they get together and do something fun like bowling, but they can talk too.
Also some therapy might help. We did some family therapy for a while and at least one of our children did some individual therapy. It was hard to do at first, I think a little pride thing on my part. But in the end it was all very beneficial. My heart goes out to you!! Hang in there!!

Aprilyn said...

I put it in another post but we do have Nathan in therapy now. We've tried many other therapists in the past but had no success. This one seems like she will be good. She said he has a lot of anxiety that we're going to work on treating through therapy not medication.
There is a group called Sibshops here. He missed it because of birthday parties but he will go next month. He went once and had a really good time.

Cindy Price said...

Yeah, I'm glad you are getting help!! Both your boys are such sweethearts. It's just hard to figure out life sometimes.