Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Long Story Short (or, Get To The Point Already!)

This is my Dad (sorry it's an old picture taken at Lake Powell when we were doing a Gummi Worm game but that's not important)-

This is my Mom, she died Jan. 9, 1993:

After Mom died, Dad decided he needed to marry again. The youngest child in our family was only 9 so he started dating. I was not happy about that. This is me around the time Mom died. It's a few years before but close enough.
This is Judy. She is/was my Mom's best friend. She came out for a visit and took me and my sisters to lunch. She told us Dad needed to marry again. (She's the mom of this family whom I love. I grew up with these guys and miss all of them but that's besides the point..I'm getting sidetracked here)
I didn't think she was right but she was.
This is Diane. She is my Dad's wife, my step mom, my kids Grandma, and a genuinely wonderful person. She tells me she loves me. She actually SHOWS she loves me too. I never thought a step mom could ever be a good thing. I was wrong. Diane is so kind and she wants the best for all of us. She came over yesterday and spent the entire afternoon and evening helping me clean my house. So, the point of my LONG winded story is that if I had to have my Mom die, and there is a reason for all things, maybe the reason is so I can learn to love someone else too. Diane is not replacing Mom, she's just substituting in her absence and I've found that it's actually a good thing. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of her alone. I will have to ask my Dad for one and edit this post another time.

6 comments:

Crissybug said...

I can't imagine how hard it had to have been to lose your mother at such a young age. I don't blame you for not wanting your dad to get remarried. But isn't it funny how the Lord works. Diane seems like a genuinely good person...of course she will never replace your mother, but it is wonderful that she is able to love you, and you be able to return that love.

Cindy Price said...

That is so touching, Aprilyn. I'm glad Diane loves you, (who wouldn't??) and came to help you!! I know you will always have special and tender feelings for your Mom. I'm sure Diane would want it that way!! This is something that people to need to know. It's ok to move on and love other people!! Thanks for sharing.

Judy said...

Aprilyn, this post made me cry. I'm so glad that you have such a wonderful stepmom. You need someone to love and help you, and I'm grateful that Diane is there for you. Such a coincidence that I read this post this morning. I had a long dream about your mom last night. I usually forget my dreams, but this one has lingered.

Mom of 3 boys said...

I am glad that you have such a great step-mother...most step-parents are great...then some of us get crappy ones....I am happy for you..and I am really sorry for the loss of your mother...I am sure she is really proud of all of you...I lost my mother years ago..(actually she was my grandmother..my grandparent's raised me..they were my mom and dad)..Thanks for sharing and you are truly blessed.

Aprilyn said...

I've had my share of not so great step moms too. My Dad had trouble finding the right one after Mom died. The 1st step mom was the worst. This is step-mom #3 and I hope she sticks around for a long time.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a nice post/tribute to the step-mother you never thought you'd love!