Monday, March 17, 2008

Fun With Family, Part 1

Sunday I posted a picture taken at our last family dinner and a friend commented at how huge the family is. SO, I decided it was time to show just how big the family is getting. I don't have a picture of just my own brothers and sisters and their families but I have one of my extended family..or most of them. Here are a few pictures from our last Family Reunion. Each summer we have a family reunion with my Dad's side of the family. My Dad's parents had 5 children. Those 5 children got married and had kids. My Dad is the oldest and he and my Mom had 6 kids. My Uncle Mack and his wife had 5 kids. My Aunt Debby and her husband had 5. My Aunt Tammy had one and Uncle Tommy had 3 (I think..I don't see them that often). SO, now my Dad has 5 grandkids, Uncle Mack has 10 (almost 11 now) grandkids, Aunt Debby has 7 grandkids but one more on the way, Tammy has one Grandchild and I don't know if Tommy has any yet or not. :) So, as you can tell, we've grown. I love big families! This is a picture of the houseboat we all stayed on. It's called The Pueblo.
Here is a picture of all the family (with the exception of 2 who left already) that stayed on the houseboat that week.
This still isn't all the family. My older brother and sister and their kids are missing and one of Uncle Mack's kids and his family couldn't make it either. I have a really big family! Isn't it great?! We all stayed on the houseboat for a week and it was quite an adventure. We made the newspapers because of our eventful Family Reunion. This is a little bit about what happened. My Uncle Mack answered some questions he'd been getting about our reunion. This is just a little bit about what we went through. The rest will be in Part 2 of Fun With Family, or, I Survived My Family Reunion!
Questions & Answers about the Reunion

How many were on the houseboat when the carbon monoxide poisoning occurred? There were forty-two people at the reunion at the time of the incident but not all were on the houseboat. Leslie and Ty had not arrived with their three boys the next day our total number was forty-seven. Some of the group including me were away from the houseboat at the time the children were discovered in the back bedroom.
What was wrong with the houseboat that caused the CO poisoning? The National Park Service (NPS) discovered no abnormality with houseboat equipment. The investigation the following day concluded that the generator was the source of the CO but it was functioning as it should. The general circumstances of the situation were as follows: The air outside was dead calm. There was an atmospheric low pressure from an impending storm that we were as yet unaware of. (That storm would hit while the family members were at the clinic being treated) When the rear door of the houseboat was opened the fresh air return to the air conditioning system would draw in high levels of CO and distribute it throughout the houseboat, the highest concentration being in the back bedroom where the four small children were sleeping.
How far away from help were you when the problem was discovered? Thankfully not very far at all. It seemed a long way when trying to get the children to the waiting ambulances at the dock.
I have read several different accounts in newspapers. How many of the family were actually treated for CO poisoning? Thirty-two were transported with significant levels of CO. With additional evaluation at the clinic twenty-two were actually treated.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Wow! You do have an amazing family. I hadn't heard the houseboat story.

Mom of 3 boys said...

WOW...I can't imagine having that many people in my family...All I have is my aunt and uncles and a few cousins I never see and also my birth-mother in which none of us are close.
My hubby and my kids are my family.

All I can say is WOW....

MommyMert said...

I remember reading about something like that in the papers! Scary!