Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Marshall's Sleep Study

Well, we survived Marshall's sleep study. Last night, Marshall and I spent the night at the sleep lab in West Valley City, Utah. It's about a 45 min drive from our house and we had to be there by 8:45pm. I wish I had thought to take my camera! He looked cute even with all the wires on him.
Poor little Marshall was NOT a happy boy and who could blame him?! He had to have "stickers" put all over his face and some behind his ears, a few on his back, and one on each leg. He was very angry at the Technician doing this to him but he didn't yank at the wires. He was very brave. After she got him settled, he finished watching a story on his Thomas and Friends DVD. Then I read him a book and we settled down for bed. He was in a bed that had rails that come up to help him not fall off. I was in a cot next to him. I took his "crickets" (sound machine), and his music that he always listens to all night. He kept talking to me and I had to tell him about 5 times to quit talking, hold his Monkey and Puppy, and go to sleep. After he quit talking, I fell asleep too. I remember hearing him wake up a few times and tell me he did not like the stickers that were on him. The Tech woke us up a little before 7am. WOW! I GOT TO SLEEP IN!!!! Then we got dressed and headed home. Here is what he looked like when he got home. He was happy to see his Daddy again!
After he ate pancakes (his favorite), it was time to wash the stickers off. Marshall was so scared and wouldn't get in the tub. Once I got him in the tub he wouldn't sit down. Poor kid was just so freaked out. Here is what he looked like with all his stickers.
The stickers were not falling off in the water so Daddy had to pull them off. Poor Marshall was so upset. I don't blame him one bit. It was a rough day for him!!
Thankfully he got over it and was a happy boy tonight. This was taken after his evening bath. Yeah, he took 2 today but he needs a bath at night to help calm him and get him ready to sleep. That and his meds make him sleep better.

5 comments:

Judy said...

we'll be anxious to hear the results of the study.

MommyMert said...

When do you get the results?

Cindy Price said...

Marshall is indeed a very brave boy! I have a picture of Evan when he got his sleep study. Poor kiddo!!

I hope that the results give you some answers to help Marshall to sleep!! Evan is doing great on his BiPap machine. We go back to the pulmonary doctor in one month!!

Aprilyn said...

Kari, I can't remember how long it takes to get the results. The doctor will call me as soon as she has them. You'd think after 4 sleep studies I would know how long it takes but I don't. :)

Autumn said...

Oh my word. That must have been so hard. I'm glad he did sleep though. I can't imagine being tied up with wires and stickers. That would drive me nuts-I can't imagine what it would do to a child. Did he understand what was going on or did he just feel like he was being tortured?