Back in January, we took Marshall up to the University of Utah to participate in the Utah Autism Research Project. We finally got the results 6 months later.
They performed a few tests and this is what they told us.
Differential Ability Scales- Lower Preschool Version (DAS)
The DAS is a standardized test of intellectual functioning. It was designed to cover a broad range of ages and abilities, from individuals with intellectual impairment through individuals who are intellectually gifted. An average score is 100, and the standard deviation is 15. Marshall's overall score was 108, which falls at the 70th percentile or Average range compared to other children of similar age. Individual subscale scores are as follows (average subscale scores are 50, with a standard deviation of 10):
Subtest-
Block building 64
Verbal Comprehension 51
Picture Similarities 49
Naming Vocabulary 53
Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals- Preschool (CLEF-Preschool)
The CLEF-Preschool measures basic language use. It yields an overall Total Language Score and 2 subscale scores:
Scale Standard Score Precentile Level
_______________________________________________________________________________
Receptive Language 110 75th High Average
Expressive Language 118 88th High Average
Total Language 114 82nd High Average
Marshall's CLEF-Preschool subtest scores are presented below. Average subtest scores are 10, with a standard deviation of 3.
Receptive Language Score Expressive Language Score
----------------------------------- ------------------------------
Linguistic Concepts 13 Recalling Sentences in Context 16
Basic Concepts 13 Formulating Labels 13
Sentence Structure 9 Word Structure 10
So, what does all this mean? Marshall doesn't have Autism and he doesn't have a speech delay. Nothing we didn't already know but it is interesting to have the numbers.
6 comments:
It's good to rule things out and know where to go from there!
Best of Luck!
that's a lot of information, but what are you supposed to do with it to help you?? I'm glad you did get to rule out some things though. I wish you luck with Marshall, I know he is a different challenge than most of us moms get.
So where do you go from here? How is he doing and you? Thanks for being such an awesome support and friend!
That is interesting, it's amazing all the testing they can do for different things, I hope this helped you out.
I'm happy for you to hear he is not autistic. It probably doesn't help in the day to day so much but that's one less worry on your worry plate. :) He sure is a cute little boy!
Wow, interesting. Yes, I have the same Qs as everyone else-where to from here? I didn't know autism had been ruled out. It will be interesting to see him progress!
Post a Comment