Sunday, August 17, 2008

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3


After much prayer, we decided to send Nathan back to the local Elementary School instead of the Charter School he had been attending for the last 2 years. Last year he finished up 4th grade math (in 3rd grade) with an A. He got 100% on nearly every test. So you can imagine our concern with putting him in the 4th grade at the Elementary School down the road. We worry he will be bored out of his mind!! So, we asked that he be tested to possibly skip a grade. The Psychologist tested him over 2 days and he did really well. Math is definitely his strong point, along with Receptive Language. Overall, he tested very high. In fact, he tested high enough to skip up to 5th grade. Academically, he's ready for 5th, even 6th or higher in some areas, but socially he's just not ready. Nathan's life is ruled by anxiety. The Psychologist told us her recommendation was to keep Nathan in 4th grade because of his high levels of anxiety. He could soar so much higher if he could learn to control it instead of anxiety controlling him. Nate met his teacher on Thursday and he already knows 2 boys in his class. I hope he has a really great 4th grade year and that we can help him learn to control his anxiety.

3 comments:

Cindy Price said...

That is great that he already knows two of the boys. Maybe the teacher can give Nate some enrichment kind of work that will challenge his strong academic side. You have to think ahead if he skips a grade, because he would graduate high school a year earlier than everyone. I wish Nate could share some of math skills with me!!

heather said...

I think it is a smart move to keep him withhis peers. I started school early and was always "off" socially because my brain far outweighed my social skills. To this day I still struggle with that. Best of luck...I will be anxious to hear how he does!!!

Mom of 3 boys said...

I think you made the right choice, charter schools are good, but can also add more pressure to kids, it is good to keep him with his friends. Good luck Nate!!!