Monday, August 25, 2008

How Our Family Home Evening Lesson Went

It's hard to do FHE with a hyper 3 yr old around. The age gap between the boys (just about 6 yrs), makes it difficult to do a lesson that will help both of them. Tonight, Brian decided to focus it on Marshall. Earlier, we went to a park and fed the ducks. If I had planned a little better, we would have taken a picnic lunch and stayed there for a while but I didn't plan ahead so we didn't stay. After our lovely dinner of Chicken Nuggets and peas (ugh. I'm still not a fan of these.), we quickly picked up the living room and started our Family Home Evening. Marshall was in charge of leading the music. He did a terrific job!! Well, terrific unless you rely on the person leading the music to help you in any way to sing the song. But it was a really easy song tonight so why worry, right? He was happy and that's all that mattered. Here is how he looked while he was directing the music. I tried to teach him a little bit about directing but I didn't really care that he did it his own way. Look how happy he is!!



We sang "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized" because that is Marshall's FAVORITE song right now. I'll have to see if my video camera still works and get him singing it. He knows it really well and it's quite a long song for a little guy. When he decides he likes something, he really sticks to it. But enough about that. Back to the topic.
So, next Brian decided to talk about when Jesus created the world. He asked Marshall to look out the window and tell him what color the mountains were. Marshall looked like this:


and this:



We finally gave up when he started doing his cool moves. They lasted until he found a toy that distracted him.



We were in desperate need of something to calm him down so we got out his Airwalker Swing.


He picked out his PJs for the night and got his 2 favorite stuffed animals. Then Daddy put him in the swing and put on a soothing CD called Primary Songs for Bedtime. He used to fall asleep in here but tonight he was really wound up so he just swung for a while and got calm.



Then I read him books, said prayers, and got him in bed. PHEW! It's been a long day. He is bored. I wish I could afford to put him in Karate or Swimming or SOMETHING. This boy has more energy than the Energizer Bunny!! I love my little hyper boy though.

4 comments:

Vidal's Nest said...

Sounds exhausting! Way to hang in there!
He is a cute boy!

Amy said...

My firstborn was hyper to the max & finally started calming down are 3...much to my relief. Those music leading pics are adorable!

heather said...

Ahh yes, family home evening! We love the FHE's on DVD. Try a bike w/ homemade 2x4 ramp or used skate board...works wonders for our little bundle of energy.

Autumn said...

I haven't peeked on here in a while. Looks like a busy night! I have to say I'm SO thrilled to see parents who practice the primary songs!! I recently got called to the presidency and I've always wonder if parents do anything to help enforce the themes. You're GREAT!