So, I said that's my word for the year--Prepared. Tonight I went to a class about being prepared for an emergency with a focus on young children. The lady who taught the class has a one year old daughter and she told us some great ideas to keep in mind when packing your 72-hour Emergency Kit. She brought her kit from when she was four to show us. The primary had made a bunch of small backpacks for each child in primary and filled it with things like crayons and doodle pads, special treats that children like, a special toy that they love, things like that. For Marshall's bag (ok, I still need to get a Marshall bag), I want to have action figures, cars, and trains, and his favorite puppy. I don't know what to pack as far as snacks go because he doesn't like to eat normally. Add stress to the mix, and he'll probably live off Pediasure. I MIGHT put a bottle of Pediasure and an empty sippy cup in there so it's easily accessible. That depends on how heavy it gets.
One thing the lady suggested we do is practice an emergency situation. Maybe one day the kids come home from school and you tell them the power will be out for the next 24 hrs and we're going to see how we would handle living without power. What would we eat? How would we cook the food? How would we keep warm? I plan on doing this soon.
Another woman said her ward has had a 72-hour campout where you have to live off your 72-hr kit while camping. Woah! You better have a really good 72-hr kit!!
I LOVE this idea..the woman teaching said her stake had this thing where your Bishop would call you and ask your family to live off their food storage for one week and then give a talk at the end of that week in Sacrament Meeting about what you learned from that experience.
Those are all such GREAT ideas!! I want to do better at being prepared. I've got to get clothes for the kids in our kit and revamp Marshall's stuff. Other than that, we're pretty good with that. Our food storage leaves something to be desired though.
What do you think? Aren't these great ideas? You should always be practicing these emergencies. You never know when it will happen to you and if you practice, it won't be as scary or stressful to you or to your kids.
3 comments:
I bet if i knew our Bishop would be calling us at some point I would be better about having the pantry stocked!!! That's the point though--it's for an UNKNOWN emergency!! And yet, we procrastinate!
At least I know we'd be good with some canned meat for a couple months at least. A months worth of veggies and I'm in the process of getting wheat and learning to use my Bosch so hopefully we'd have some form of bread too!
Would it just be if your power were out, or the whole city? Does drive-through count since it wouldn't use your power?
What do those questions say about my preparedness?
We do have decent food storage, but really lack water storage, and packed 24 or 72 hour kits.
If I could ever get out of survival mode, I might be able to better prepare for the future.
Those are some great ideas though. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your preparedness goals.
I plan on working on our 72-hour kits this year as well. It's a daunting task, but I look forward to having it done. We have done a few emergency family home evenings where we practice emergencies. The kids really pay good attention when we do these lessons and I always feel like they go well. It's a good way to incorporate those teachings.
Post a Comment