Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Connecting with old friends


Isn't blogging great??! I can meet up with old friends again. The picture here is of (left to right) my sister Jenny, our friend Heidi Peterson, and me. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago called Naperville. I had many wonderful friends there and have lost touch with most of them. I am going to post my Christmas card/video slideshow from last year so everyone can see lots of pictures of my family.
At Christmastime, I miss singing with the Petersons, the Castletons, and the Hatches. We did Christmas In Nauvoo and it was SO much fun. I miss being in the Young Naperville Singers . I grew up singing in that choir. If you go to the website about the choir, you'll find that it was founded by the late Helen Grubbs. That would be my Mom! :) Yes, so I'm a little famous, right? I miss my parent's Christmas Caroling party. We had lots of people over for homemade hot chocolate, wassail and lots of singing. Christmas isn't quite the same without the Christmas Caroling. I would love to have one at my place. I have a piano and lots of music but there's one small problem with that and it's called Marshall. He is my darling 3 yr old son. For those of you who don't know (and for those of you who do, I'm sorry), Marshall was born 6 weeks premature and has been a challenge ever since. Whether it's due to his early birth, or genetics, or luck of the draw, or all of the above, I'm not sure. Marshall has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS, an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. We have an appointment on January 3rd for more testing at the Utah Autism Research Project. So, back to why I can't have a caroling party. Marshall gets extremely upset when people come over. Sometimes he hides in his closet and cries. Other times he hits people who come over. So, for now, I'll have to settle with the memories of Christmases past and make sure that this Christmas is less stressful for him. We are having a Stake Sing-in on the 23rd so I'll get to sing there. Nathan will be singing a new song from The Children's Friend and I'll either play a piano solo, or sing (and accompany myself).
Now, for the YouTube video I promised...I'll just post it here. First, here is the link to the video we made in 2005...click: Bucklein Christmas 2005
Now let's see if I can get this to work. Here's 2006. You will need to pause the music on my playlist so you can hear the cool music on my video.

5 comments:

Britt said...

What a great picture of you three girls. I didn't know Heidi had such a free spirit. Wow! Nathan is so big/old. I remember meeting you at Grandpa Ted's funeral and he was just toddling around everywhere. Marshall is sure a cutie. I love the blond hair blue eye combo.

Aprilyn said...

We have many great memories of fun times with the Petersons. We used to do "midgets" and "chin people" and Dad and Bro. Peterson made homemade ice cream. We sang together a lot too. Every time I hear the song Pachabel's Cannon, I think of the Petersons. Judy and Heidi played the violin, Randy Sr. played the guitar, and Travis played the Cello. I think my mom usually played the piano for them. We Christmas Caroled together and I think one year we even got PAID!

Now there's a new generation of Peterson kids that I need to meet. I love the pictures of your kids and the cute things they say. How old are they now? You can email me at- Natersmommy@comcast.net. I'm hoping to get a family slideshow done but I'm not really counting on it happening before Christmas. We shall see.

Practically Perfect In Every Way said...

it looks like you girls have a little junk in your trunks! lay off the mcDonalds before you give eachother diabetes!

I can't wait to hear what happens with Marshal in January. Do you have anyone that he will let babysit for him? You need that bad bad bad bad!!! There has to be someone, maybe the whole young womens???

Autumn said...

Wow! I just looked at YNS, they sure have gotten huge. What a success, thanks to your mom. I didn't know that about your son. That must be really challenging. He looks super sweet. Its so fun to be reconnected again. I'm going to link you soon-I just have to take a minute...

Aprilyn said...

Jen-
What Young Women's? I think we have maybe 4 girls in the ward?! Ours is a newly wed and nearly dead ward with a few in between. I have the number for a couple of sisters who don't actually live in my ward. We will try getting them to babysit sometime. It is very hard to get out without him. Actually, we just stay in because it's too hard to deal with him when we take him anywhere. SO, we just don't. Babysitters aren't easy to find when you have to give Marshall medicine at night. A few weeks ago, my Dad gave me last minute tickets to The First Presidency Devotional. I had to find a babysitter for Marshall and Nathan but then realized I could take Nathan. I called 4 people before someone finally said yes. He's not THAT difficult for other people. They don't even have to feed him...he won't eat for them anyway. He won't eat most of the time still.