Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Mystery Man Strikes Again..


Nathan is our mystery man when it comes to his poor health. Marshall is the "behavior child" and Nathan is the "health problem child". Poor kid..he must have my genes...oh wait..he does! Anyway, this month has been a bad one for poor Nathan. He has cough variant asthma and seems to get sinus infections SO easily. Every time he gets an infection, he starts coughing and can't stop until we give him the steroid medicine for at least 3 days. Ugh. We finally got the right meds to start getting his cough under control, then yesterday at recess, a girl grabbed him and swung him around fast then let go and he went sliding on the pavement. He scratched up his face really bad right next to his eye. He says his eye hurts and he got a fat lip from it. His eye may go black and blue, we're not sure yet. He also skinned his knee. As if that wasn't enough, over the past week, he's been complaining of chest pains. He was crouched over in pain again tonight so I had my poor sick hubby (Yes, he is VERY sick too...aren't we a mess?) take him to the after-hours doc. I'm not the safest driver with a huge boot on my foot so Brian had to go instead of me. The doctor checked Nathan's sats (95-96% which is great) and listened to his lungs. He sounded fine so the doctor said just keep giving him the steroid for a full 5 day dose instead of trying just 3 days. This was not our normal doctor and I'm totally frustrated that my kid comes home and is still in pain. It comes and goes but it really hurts him. I told him before he left to describe the pain to the doctor EXACTLY the way he just told me. He forgot. He's been complaining about his eye hurting. I told him to mention it to the doc. He forgot. We just wasted $5 because I didn't take off the stupid boot and just go with him!! Ok, so it's only $5 but Brian has been to the doctor twice this week and Nathan went last week. Brian has BYU student insurance which is expensive. So, frustration is ruling here tonight.

6 comments:

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

"Put your game face on!" , my dad always said. That just isn't too comforting when you've been playing at the "game" for long while, is it? Just know we love you and pray for you. You're doing great--really.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, I am so sorry you have had such a bunch of health issues. What a mess. One year we all had strep. The doctor told me if I had it one more time I'd have to have my tonisils out. Then one day the doctor said, "I think you have a carrier." He tested all of us and my oldenst son, 12 year old Trent was our carrier. It took two nurses and me to hold him down to give him a shot.

But, your problems can't be solved that easily. I'm so sorry. Say, "We are happy to be a healthy family," all day long. I'm serious. Just say it, over and over and over.

My thoughts are with you.

Cindy Price said...

Big hugs to you Aprilyn!!! We know about all the medical stuff. It stinks, just plain stinks!! Hang in there, things will get better. Your family will be in my prayers!!

Aprilyn said...

Thanks everyone. I called my sister and she's coming over this morning to play with Marshall while I take Nathan shopping for his last gifts. Brian was supposed to take him shopping for me but that's not going to happen. SO, either I will or I'll have my sister take him. Marshall is in dire need of attention and he needs to get out too. Maybe I'll take the boys to Carl's Jr. for lunch so they can run around and play. Thank goodness for sisters! She has to work at 2pm at the MTC but she's willing to babysit until then.

Practically Perfect In Every Way said...

Merry Christmas and I hope you and Nathan are feeling much better.

LJ said...

I can totally empathize when it comes to asthma and health problems. My little Braydon has been hospitalized twice in the past two years for asthma and has endured many breathing treatments. I'm SO sorry little Nathan has been sick so much. It is hard to avoid with school and everything. Thank goodness for good pediatricians and medicines, huh? It sounds like you are fighting your way through this sickness battle very well. Just remember, "This too shall pass!" Mommying sick kids is not easy, but their hugs and smiles are worth it, huh? Best wishes! You're doing a great job. Keep on bloggin'- it's therapeutic, you know! :)