Tuesday, January 29, 2008

HELP! Elmer's Glue in the CARPET!!


Last night while I was pulling Nathan's tooth out, Marshall got a bottle of glue and dumped it ALL OVER the floor in the boys' bedroom. I scrubbed at it last night but this morning it's still really stiff. Does anyone know how to get glue out of the carpet? I swear I should just BUY a Rug Doctor!!
Both Brian and I are so frustrated lately! It's SO difficult to deal with a child who is CONSTANTLY getting into stuff....STILL. I thought by age 3 he might possibly be getting a little easier to deal with. NOT SO. This past few weeks he is into more and more every day. If I'm not actively trying to get him to play with something (he really won't play with me except if it's his V Smile) or watch a movie (practically impossible to find something that will KEEP his attention), he is standing on Nathan's desk pulling all the pencils out of the cup on top of it. On Sunday, while our home teachers were here, he got upset and went crying to his room. When he came back, he had 2 pencils and he was sticking them in his eye!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! He is getting worse every day and I try to keep him busy but it's difficult to find things he wants to do. Yesterday I was brilliant (or so I thought) and got him all dressed to go outside for a walk. Just as we were about to leave, the snowstorm hit. So I opened up the garage and we played in there for a bit. Even in there, he won't play for long before he wants to find stuff to get into. I'll make it through this kid somehow. I just can't even begin to describe the frustration of dealing with a child who WILL NOT listen. He ran away after church and I was so scared he was going to get hit by a car. He thinks he is too big to hold my hand.
Brian and I are both so stressed out we don't know what to do. We just keep taking it one hour at a time. Sometimes it's one minute at a time but somehow we keep going because we have to. We were blessed with Marshall as our son and though he is extremely frustrating, we will keep going no matter what. We just really need to get a break sometime soon. Well, Brian gets a break..he goes to school. I think I'M the one who needs a break.

6 comments:

Farr Family said...

Aprilyn,

I hear ya. My kids don't have the issues that Marshall has but I do have an almost 3 year old who is definitely into everything. I do the best I can to impede her 'progress' (like putting a lock on the refrigerator to keep her out of the cheese, tomatoes and apples--or whatever else she can find!)

The good news is that the others have grown out of the 'get into everything" stage (for the most part) so there is hope. Maybe you need a girls' night out and a few hours off from "mommy duty". When I do that it really helps me to recharge my battery so that I can keep up with all of my brain damaged kids (Bill Cosby Brain Damage).

Rest when you can and take care of yourself. You're doing a great job!

Steve and Kim said...

Wow, you sound busy!! Sorry about the glue mess, maybe you could have Marshall run and jump on it for a couple of hours - it might wear him out and it might soften the carpet. If not, you have a new time-out spot - it can't be that comfortable to sit on!

jdkelly said...

Hi Aprilyn
Wow the boys are getting so big!
I know the back of the glue bottle says if dry to soak fabrick for 10 min then wash of course that won't work on carpet to bad. Have you tried Oxie clean?
Lexie spilled black water color paint on a very light bles shirt at school last week and I am still working on that one.
JoDee

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

First of all...I think you (and Brian) are doing a great job with Marshall. Working with autism kids gives me a sense of how the parents "deal" with the challenges their kids might have. Some parents are like you and accept and work alongside the child. I'm amazed at how many parents just think their child is in a "phase" and can't wait 'til they get fixed. :P

Secondly...you got ahead of the gluey mess before I did at my house. Years ago, my girls brought in "Gooze" unannounced and it dried and stuck to anything and everything. One spot of carpet has been left with a crusty green blob as if I'm going to start with, "Look what happened the last time you had fun....."

Mom of 3 boys said...

Aprilyn,

I wish I had some advice for you on how to get glue out of the carpet..I also wish I could give you a break..we all need a break once in awhile. Just remember my saying...God sent us these special children for a reason...at least that is what I tell myself when my son gets to acting up.I call it an "auttie moment"...Hang in there I am here if you need to talk.

Britt said...

Hey, I googled your problem and read that WD40 might be your answer. I also came across this web address. May one of them will help. Good luck!
http://www.ehow.com/how_2705_remove-glue-carpet.html