
I have Marshall taking private swimming lessons from a woman who teaches Special Needs kids in school. She is also a behavior therapist and gives me ideas on ways I can get Marshall to obey. The teacher is really great with him and he loves going under water now. That's a HUGE change. The only downside is it's in Holladay and it takes 45 min. to get there! We also do Occupational Therapy in Sandy twice a month and are doing a speech evaluation on him next month. Sometimes I wonder why I still live in Orem when all the best services and doctors are in the Salt Lake area. His Pediatrician is in Orem but the rest of his doctors and therapists are in Sandy, Murray, or at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake. I wish there were good pediatric doctors in Utah County!!
9 comments:
Be thankful you don't live down here. We have to drive three hours to San Antonio for good doctors. When I get pregnant, I'm going to have to drive up there weekly for ultrasounds for the first trimester. I definitely feel your pain. I told Peter we need to buy a little airplane, so we can just fly up there. It might not be cheaper, but it would definitely be faster.=)
I am grateful I live in Orem then! Ugh..driving 3 hrs is more than I can handle!! Hmm...maybe you two should get a small plane! :) You'd have more fun things to do when you're not out on your boat! And just think how much easier it would be to visit your family in Spokane (or Utah for that matter) :-)
I feel your pain as well, with all of TJ's special doctors I have to drive him 45mins and sometimes up to an 90 minutes to get him to his docs...Even when we lived in Ohio it was the same way...you have to live in the big cities to avoid the drive for the "good" docs. Luckily he is doing very well and the visit are only every few months.
that is a lot of driving, but the care sounds worth it. oh to find a doctor, therapist, anyone that understands a mother's needs. that is priceless.
We have an appointment with the Sleep Doc again Monday. We're EXHAUSTED!!! We are hoping she will schedule another sleep study so we can figure out what is going on with this poor exhausted little boy.
Awe, big hugs Aprilyn. Living in a somewhat rural population like we do, I totally understand your frustation. We have limited medical resources locally. It does get better as they get older.
Evan had three studies done last year four hours away!! I am officially tired of the drive to Palo Alto! I hope they can figure out something for you on the next sleep study.
How came Marshall's OT and speech therapy aren't done at school? Shouldn't they be coming to him now that he is in preschool?? Isn't that a service in his IEP?
The school district said he didn't qualify for OT or ST in the school. Apparently, sensory problems do not qualify him for OT in the school. We have a ST eval next month because I'm concerned about the way he pronounces some words. He still doesn't say his R's or L's (which is no biggy because the kid IS only 3) but when he says some words he puts his tongue out. I also think he has some Auditory Processing Problems that need help. He confuses similar sounding consonants.
These boys of yours are absolutely adorable. Whatever you have to do for them to thrive, it is worth it. Hang in there. It only lasts for 20 years!
Thanks Judy. I appreciate your comments. I'm glad you think they are adorable. I think so too! :) It's so cute when they say things about Grandma Helen. I will have to post it soon.
Post a Comment