Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Family Spotlight- Mom


Mom was born April 13, 1947 in Logan, Utah. Grandma was 40 when she had my Mom. Just before my Mom's 1st birthday, her father slipped while shoveling ice off the roof of the chicken coop. Since nobody was around to hear him, he laid in the snow for a while before he was found. Unfortunately, he contracted Pneumonia and died when my mother was just 11 months old.Isn't she a cute baby??! That's my Mom when she was about 11 mo. old.
Mom always loved music and played the piano BEAUTIFULLY! She was also in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
until she had my brother Jeff. Mom was always singing. I remember we used to make fun of her when she would sing sometimes because she had quite a vibrato. She made up fun songs for us on the piano that told stories we had to act out. I wish she had written down what music she played but I just improvise when I play it for my children. When we were kids, we used to sing together all the time. We sang at talent shows and nursing homes. We went Christmas Caroling to friends and neighbors with the Peterson family. They were very good friends of ours in Naperville, Illinois (where I grew up).
My Mom started a children's choir in Naperville that is still going strong today. It is called The Young Naperville Singers. Five out of the 6 kids in my family were in that choir. We were very fortunate to grow up that way with such great music education. I have many wonderful memories of singing in that choir. What a great experience my mother provided, not only for her own children, but for countless others as well. Because of her vision, many children in Naperville and surrounding cities have the opportunity to be in an amazing children's choir. This picture is when Mom went to surprise the YNS kids who were at an International Children's Festival in Des Moines, Iowa. They knew she was very ill with cancer so it was a tearful reunion for all.
When I was about 8 or 9, Mom found out she had Breast Cancer. I remember we had a family fast for her and she went to the hospital in late October for a Mastectomy. She was there over my birthday and she made me a small pink stuffed elephant. Sadly, I don't know where that elephant is now.
Mom did get better for several years, but unfortunately, the cancer returned in 1991 as we were preparing to move to Utah. After our move, she had to go back to Chicago for a Stem Cell Transplant. The picture below is when she was finally well enough to come home.

She left the day after Christmas and came home in the beginning of March.
Again, Mom got better for a while but it wasn't long before the cancer spread and this time it was too much. Mom died Jan 9, 1993. It was a cold, snowy day much like today. I still miss her and wish she were here. I know I can't make that happen though. My sweet Marshall has been praying that "my mom's mom can come alive." Cute huh? I haven't really been talking about it or anything. I just showed him some pictures of her and mentioned that she lives in Heaven with Heavenly Father and Jesus. He also asked Heavenly Father to bless Daddy's Mom that she will get better..but she's not even sick. So, that's a just in case blessing I guess. I love my Mother so much and wish she could be here watching my boys grow. BUT, if she has to be gone from us, at least my Dad found someone wonderful he can love and who really cares for the rest of us. I've learned a lot since she died. I look forward to a wonderful reunion in Heaven someday.

13 comments:

Farr Family said...

Wow! What a nice tribute.

Jerry Grubbs said...

Aprilyn, I think your tribute to your mom is wonderful. I have my own memories of that day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the rest of us. One day we will understand all this coming and going at supposedly the wrong time. According to Corrie ten Boom author of The Hiding Place, there is no wrong time from Heavenly Father's point of view. Love, Mack

Aprilyn said...

Thanks Uncle Mack. I'm doing better about dealing with her death. It's been 15 yrs so it's easier now. I don't get terribly depressed every Jan. 9th. With my life the way it is now, I barely had time to remember it was Jan. 9th.

Paige said...

I really loved seeing this--it brought back great memories for me. I'll never forget how she comforted me when I was missing my parents who went to pick up Mark in Germany and we were staying at your house. She was a wonderful, amazing woman who left quite a legacy with her family as well as her musical talent.

Pam's Place said...

Aprilyn, I can feel the love you have for your mother, and the tribute and the photos together paint a picture of a warm, talented, kind woman that she was. I strongly suspect that you are much like her.

I lost my own mother on January 14,1974 when I was 27 years old. The pain of losing her has eased, but it never goes away completely. I was not a member of the Church at that time and did not have the comfort the gospel offers. Seeing the "bigger picture" helps tremendously.

Walking through the Plan of Salvation last Sunday in Primary reminded me that the spirit world is around us, so they are not so far away. We shall have a grand reunion some day.

Heather Lea said...

I was in YNS for several years with you, Aprilyn, and your mother was someone I admired very much. She had such a beautiful voice and was so sweet. I told my mother when I was younger that I wanted to be Mormon solely on the basis that your mom was. (And then my mom had to go and tell your mom about it!)

I remember one time when we were at Notre Dame, and I was upset because I wanted to sing first soprano instead of second, she told me she wanted me on second because she needed strong singers on second. For someone as insecure as I was, that made me feel so wonderful. She gave me a hug, too, and I've never forgotten that.

I can tell by reading your blog (that I found completely by accident, just looking up random names that I remember!) that you're just as nurturing and loving as she was. :) I wasn't ever going to comment, but your tribute to you mother really touched me.

(By the way, your kids are adorable!)

Heather Wilson (You probably don't remember me, that's okay!) :)

Aprilyn said...

My mother touched so many people's lives. She really was an amazing woman.
Heather- I can't remember what you look like but I remember your name. I tried to see your blog but it was restricted. I hope you will check back on my blog and comment again.

Autumn said...

Aprilyn, it was so nice reading this and seeing pictures of your mom and family. Its hard to imagine what it would be like losing my mother, especially at the age you did. It doesn't seem like there's an explanation that could suffice, though of course Heavenly Father's plan is more complex than we can imagine...thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures!

Mom of 3 boys said...

I think your tribute is great, I only wish I had that kind of relationship with my mother....you are truly blessed...

Kage said...

aprilyn, you found me! (saw comments on my blog). Of course I remember you...as one of the youngest kids in the I think it was called senior choir then....I knew ALL the older girls and looked up to them.

maiden name: Anderson...

I was there in DesMoines and I think in that pic...back is turned...although hard to tell b/c we all seem to have the same hair! I remember that....thank you for filling in some lost pieces to the memory.

I just produced my first album last year and there is a tribute in the sleeve jacket to your mother and a hidden track that I recorded: MUSIC, YOU ARE A FRIEND TO ME in her honor...she introduced me to music and the experiences I had in YNS were truly life-altering. I had the chance to go back and sing with YNS as a soloist in 2006...which was a nice full-circle moment for me.

My best to you and your family.
~Kristy Glass

Mom G said...

Dear April,
Wow! Tears came to my eyes as I read this and looked at all those pictures! What memories we have of you and your family. Seems like we were relatives instead of just neighbors. We had some incredible experiences with each of you. I am so glad that we still keep in touch. I think that friendship is eternal and know that we will all meet again and talk about our "earth times". What a blessing to be able to share this life with people like your mom & dad and all of you kids. We want only the best for you. Thanks for the wonderful memories you envoked today!

LJ said...

Aprilyn, this warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful tribute of words and pictures about your beautiful mother! She is a woman whom I always admired, loved, and adored. I saw myself in that Des Moines picture with a red face from crying and remembered what a wonderful moment that was when she surprised us. I am SO grateful that you shared this with us and let us see a glimpse of her life through photos. I think she would be so proud of you, her daughter, for writing such thoughtful and beautiful words about her life. You are a wonderful person whom I admire and I am so glad to have come back in touch with you through your blog. God bless you and your family on yet another anniversary of your mother's passing today. Love you!

Steve and Kim said...

Aprilyn, that is a wonderful tribute. It was great seeing your old family pictures! You were wonderful neighbors and YNS was an important part of our lives as well. Thanks for reminding us how great a woman she was!