I am thankful for the Priesthood that my husband is worthy to hold. Some of you know that we struggle daily with Marshall. He recently qualified for a research study on Autism. I guess that means we are correct in assuming he's on the spectrum somewhere. Although, if he's Autistic, it's mild and more along the lines of Asperger's Syndrome. Not only is it difficult to manage his behaviors, he doesn't sleep well at all!! The past few weeks have been more exhausting as he has woken up 5 times or more before I finally bring him to bed with us. He still doesn't sleep well even with us but this usually starts sometime after 1am so I usually get a few hours sleep before getting up with him. Last night, something was very different. I lost track of how many times I had to go in and comfort him and it wasn't even 11pm yet!! Brian and I just didn't know what to do. We had given him his sleep medicine (Melatonin) and that usually guarantees a few hours of good sleep but not so last night. Finally, as I was clearing off our bed and getting into pajamas so he could sleep with us, my husband got him to sleep. He had decided to give him a Father's blessing and within a few minutes, Marshall was asleep. He only cried out once more around 3am. I am so thankful that Brian thought to give him a Father's Blessing and that Heavenly Father heard our plea and watched over our little boy so his exhausted parents could get some sleep.
Friday, January 11, 2008
I Joined the 52 BP
It's called the 52 Week Blessing Project and I decided to join with a group of people in posting something I am thankful for at least once a week. I realized when I read Cindy's blog that I'm a week behind. I still haven't figured out which day everyone decided to write their thankful post but I'll post one today and then catch up on Sunday.
I am thankful for the Priesthood that my husband is worthy to hold. Some of you know that we struggle daily with Marshall. He recently qualified for a research study on Autism. I guess that means we are correct in assuming he's on the spectrum somewhere. Although, if he's Autistic, it's mild and more along the lines of Asperger's Syndrome. Not only is it difficult to manage his behaviors, he doesn't sleep well at all!! The past few weeks have been more exhausting as he has woken up 5 times or more before I finally bring him to bed with us. He still doesn't sleep well even with us but this usually starts sometime after 1am so I usually get a few hours sleep before getting up with him. Last night, something was very different. I lost track of how many times I had to go in and comfort him and it wasn't even 11pm yet!! Brian and I just didn't know what to do. We had given him his sleep medicine (Melatonin) and that usually guarantees a few hours of good sleep but not so last night. Finally, as I was clearing off our bed and getting into pajamas so he could sleep with us, my husband got him to sleep. He had decided to give him a Father's blessing and within a few minutes, Marshall was asleep. He only cried out once more around 3am. I am so thankful that Brian thought to give him a Father's Blessing and that Heavenly Father heard our plea and watched over our little boy so his exhausted parents could get some sleep.
I am thankful for the Priesthood that my husband is worthy to hold. Some of you know that we struggle daily with Marshall. He recently qualified for a research study on Autism. I guess that means we are correct in assuming he's on the spectrum somewhere. Although, if he's Autistic, it's mild and more along the lines of Asperger's Syndrome. Not only is it difficult to manage his behaviors, he doesn't sleep well at all!! The past few weeks have been more exhausting as he has woken up 5 times or more before I finally bring him to bed with us. He still doesn't sleep well even with us but this usually starts sometime after 1am so I usually get a few hours sleep before getting up with him. Last night, something was very different. I lost track of how many times I had to go in and comfort him and it wasn't even 11pm yet!! Brian and I just didn't know what to do. We had given him his sleep medicine (Melatonin) and that usually guarantees a few hours of good sleep but not so last night. Finally, as I was clearing off our bed and getting into pajamas so he could sleep with us, my husband got him to sleep. He had decided to give him a Father's blessing and within a few minutes, Marshall was asleep. He only cried out once more around 3am. I am so thankful that Brian thought to give him a Father's Blessing and that Heavenly Father heard our plea and watched over our little boy so his exhausted parents could get some sleep.
Labels:
Asperger's Syndrome,
Marshall,
Priesthood,
sleep problems
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
what a wonderful idea, sometimes it's just right there in plain sight. i'm so glad you got some sleep and that Brian was thoughtful enough to use his full realm of fatherhood abilities!
got your christmas card, thank you and it was adorable. great family picture!
Aprilyn, I love the new pictures on your blog. What a cute family you have! Thanks for sharing this experience. Realizing our blessings is such a gift and you truly have it. I hope I can try harder to be thankful for my blessings to get me through my trials. Also, I worked with a little boy who had Aspberger's syndrome while I was at Wasatch Mental Health. It was difficult to watch him suffer with that. But I also saw what a smart boy he had with a beautiful spirit. He taught me things that other little boys probably couldn't. I wish you the best! What a great hubby you have.
What a blessing-for the blessing. I hope the sleeping gets better-for him and you! I have another friend with a son with autism. They basically got to the point where he would entertain himself all night. This lady is a single mom with 2 others?!?! I might send you her email too!
Mary Poppins- I was so grateful to be able to sleep in my bed the whole night!! Ah..such blessings! I'm glad you got the card and you liked the picture. I thought it turned out great.
Lynn- I'm trying to just focus more on the blessings because I'm so overwhelmed with stress!! The more I think about what I'm thankful for, the easier it is to manage my life. Asperger's Syndrome kids are amazingly brilliant!! Marshall loves to talk about his schedule..go over each picture, tell me what it means, etc. When he talks, we carry on conversations that you couldn't imagine a 3 yr old was capable of. He can have a sweet spirit too and I love it when he tells me he loves me. It makes my frustrations go away.
Autumn- I can't imagine how your friend does it. It's so hard to have a child with Autism. I can't imagine going it alone!
Aprilyn, I'm excited you are doing this also!! Thanks for sharing about the blessing for Marshall! We have seen amazing things with blessings too!!
Wow, Aprilyn, your blog looks great! I'm very impressed. And thanks for checking out mine.
My prayers are with you...if you ever need to talk I am here.
April, Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm just barely learning how--not a pro like you. Anyway, when you said you had posted a tribute to your mom I checked you out. Every word you said about your mom is true. And I loved this entry about Marshall and his challenges. I see so many blessings in the lives of your family. Yours to have such a great husband. Marshall's to have such a strong and caring Mom. You're the best. Got your card. Loved it. A beautiful family!
Aprilyn,
What a great idea. We all need to be better at recognizing our blessings.
I can't even imagine being a parent of a child with autism or anything close. I think you are so strong and I admire you for what you do. I'm also so happy for you that you are in a great relationship - that your husband is worthy to give blessings. :)
Hang in there, because remember - this too shall pass. I have to tell myself that too.
I also like your new pictures. They look so nice!
I agree that the priesthood is a wonderful blessing! Good lick with your son's challenges.
Post a Comment